Add Labels to graph-axes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

adiac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Add Labels to graph-axes

Post by adiac »

TL;DR
Label the axes on the Power and Production Graphs according to its content.
What ?
  • The axes on all Graphs of Factorio are empty. They should have numbers on them. (like "time in minutes")
  • Additionally hovering over a line should show the amount at that moment.
  • Stepless "scrolling" of the time axis would be cool.
(My Math Teacher would kill me if I would not put at least two numbers on a Graph.)
Why ?
At the Moment the Factoio graphs are just some lines. Of course they are funny to watch, but its hard to identify a line that is in the middle of a Graph. You can only see where peaks are and roughly how some thing are in relation to others.
With numbers on them it would be easy to see for example how bad a power shortage 25 minutes ago was.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Add Labels to graph-axes

Post by Jap2.0 »

I think this is an int4eresting idea. I was always taught that all graphs had to have labeled axis, but then again I was also taught that playing lots of video games was bad for you...
I think this is a pretty neat idea, although I think it should be fairly subtle (but that will come with fitting in the theme of the GUI properly and not just having a bunch of white text and lines (although I couldn't make much of a better mock-up myself)).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

adiac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by adiac »

Yes of course it needs to blend in with the GUI. But it's not my part to figure out how this should be implemented. The picture should just give a rough idea of what I think is missing.

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Very much agree. Except horizontal axis should be from right to left, with negative time values (it's essentially looking into the past, and right border is always zero).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”