IME input support

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

IME input support

Post by eradicator »

Reading the latest FFF i just remembered that this is still broken so you might as well fix it while working on the GUI 8-) . (Display of Japanese text on non-japanese locales has already been fixed i noticed. Yay for that! :D)

Hwat?
Entering Japanese text into any text box of the game (train stop names, chat, search boxes, savegame names, etcpp) using the windows on-board Input Method Editor (and probably any third party IME) is impossible. The game treats the input as if the IME is turned off and the keys are just pressed normally. My guess is that this affects any language that relies on an IME for input. (So at least all asian languages?)

Wry?
Being unable to type ingame renders the search box features completely useless (as the search is for the localised name only). And ofc meaningful chatting is also very difficult. Station/savegame names can be copy/pasted from notepad when typed outside the game but that is certainly not fun.
After some googling i actually found an autohotkey script (+fork) that proxies the typing for japanese input so there is definetly demand for this feature.
https://github.com/takumaniihara/FactorioChat
https://github.com/horensor/FactorioKanji
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.35] IME based (Japanese) input not possible in-game.

Post by Klonan »

We are aware of this, however at this time it isn't a bug

We do intend to add IME support to the game

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.15.35] IME based (Japanese) input not possible in-game.

Post by eradicator »

Klonan wrote:We are aware of this, however at this time it isn't a bug

We do intend to add IME support to the game
Good to know! I just wanted to write it down on the to-do list. (Also because i remember mentioning it on IRC ages ago and being turned down.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”