Mod-Directory cli should be separate from mod settings

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Everspace
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Mod-Directory cli should be separate from mod settings

Post by Everspace »

The following option is available to users who want to have different mod settings

Code: Select all

--mod-directory PATH               Mod directory to use
However, I personally don't want to have to duplicate all the .zips and other such files in the mods directory for every game I want to play or host on my server. I also don't want to accidentally download things over and over again too.

The game's currently set mods are kept in the files mod-settings.json and mod-list.json, could we get cli switches like

Code: Select all

--mod-settings PATH               mod-settings.json to use (default --mod-directory)
--mod-list PATH                   mod-list.json (default --mod-directory)
So that things are more modular? I'm currently trying to fandangle a series of docker containers on the same machine, and this would make it that much lighter between, and easier to change what maps are using what on the fly.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod-Directory cli should be separate from mod settings

Post by bobingabout »

I think it would be useful to allow multiple mod configurations without multiple installations.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Having the game additionally look in 'mods.d' in the mods directory, where you could make mods.d a symlink, would seem to be enough here. It could even download mods to mods.d by default. I think Microsoft has finally stopped demanding $100 extra to be able to use symlinks, right? Right. You don't need the "pro" edition, and you don't have to run as admin.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Back when multiplayer was first added, I made my mods folder a symlink to a drop box folder, to guarantee that me and a friend had identical mod everything.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

quyxkh wrote:Having the game additionally look in 'mods.d' in the mods directory, where you could make mods.d a symlink, would seem to be enough here. It could even download mods to mods.d by default. I think Microsoft has finally stopped demanding $100 extra to be able to use symlinks, right? Right. You don't need the "pro" edition, and you don't have to run as admin.
Symlinks where made available with Vista as command line option mklink. MSDN - Symlink
The actual NTFS implementation goes back to NTFS 3.0 (win 2000).

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Optera wrote:
quyxkh wrote:Having the game additionally look in 'mods.d' in the mods directory, where you could make mods.d a symlink, would seem to be enough here. It could even download mods to mods.d by default. I think Microsoft has finally stopped demanding $100 extra to be able to use symlinks, right? Right. You don't need the "pro" edition, and you don't have to run as admin.
Symlinks where made available with Vista as command line option mklink. MSDN - Symlink
The actual NTFS implementation goes back to NTFS 3.0 (win 2000).
It could easily be that I'm misremembering the "pro"-version requirement, apologies if so.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”