Bot slots for personal roboports

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Bot slots for personal roboports

Post by Engimage »

This has probably been asked for before but I would like to make a well rounded suggestion here.
TL;DR
The idea is to add special inventory slots specificly for construction bots when personal roboport is equipped. This slots should not only be added to a player but to vehicles as well in case such modules are equipped in them.
What ?
We all know the nuissanse of having construction bots in your inventory. Not only they do take space but they also complicate interaction with your inventory especially when you get extra construction bots in your inventory and want to transfer them to stationary roboports.
Also we are kinda lacking with mobile logistic vehicles (both trains and possibly other). Such vehicles (if ones would exist) would also be problematic to automate if bots would be a part of their cargo hold.
So I propose to add an optional cargo slot to modules. Cargo slots for personal roboports would appear on a logistics tab of character window like a stationary roboport currently has. Personal roboports MK1 would add a single slot and MK2 would add 2 slots. These slots would be able to hold only construction bots. The number of slots (1 and 2 respectively) would allow to hold excess amount of bots for player to be able to make a reserve of them in case of bot destruction.
Vehicles should also get such slots in their interface.

Also binding such slots to modules themselves (as opposed to cargo inventory) would prevent chestplosions with bots in case you unequip/move modules so that if you unequip module bots do remain in them.
Why ?
I think this fuctionality can extend gameplay in many ways:
  • Fix nuissanse with construction bots in inventory
  • Allow introducing construction vehicles
  • Streamline inventory management for construction vehicles/player regarding bots

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”