Assembly machines to be more flexible

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

husky-cgn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Assembly machines to be more flexible

Post by husky-cgn »

TL;DR
Have the assembly machines producing one of the "lower" products AND the desired final product.
What ?
I'm suggesting that the assembly machines could (by research) be enabled to produce one of the ingridients of desired products itself.
Take the electronic circuits for instance, instead of supplying the assembly machines with copper cables and iron plates you just insert iron plates and copper plates instead.
Why ?
Because it could be something worth researching in late game and eventually change the face of the whole big factory.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Assembly machines to be more flexible

Post by Engimage »

I am sure this is never going to happen.

The point of Factorio is making complex things with simple blocks. Devs will never add features that can be done with existing elements without any downsides.

And I do support devs in this.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

You could probably make a mod that automatically made such recipes and locked them behind higher tier technologies.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

That would remove big part of the gameplay, the "finding the best setup" minigame would become dull with that change.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

It's been requested many times, and it's not going to happen. If for example it's just a simple "provide base components and it spits out final product" then it's eliminating much of the core gameplay, not to mention there are odd ratios like 1.5 Copper Plate per Electronic Circuit craft. This can get extremely complicated with mods.

If you want the option of swapping recipes via circuit network, there is a mod to do that and some people have made some pretty cool setups with it but it's just not something that 99.9% of players would ever (or could ever) make use of. It's a gimmick at best and very difficult to get right.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:It's been requested many times, and it's not going to happen. If for example it's just a simple "provide base components and it spits out final product" then it's eliminating much of the core gameplay, not to mention there are odd ratios like 1.5 Copper Plate per Electronic Circuit craft. This can get extremely complicated with mods.

If you want the option of swapping recipes via circuit network, there is a mod to do that and some people have made some pretty cool setups with it but it's just not something that 99.9% of players would ever (or could ever) make use of. It's a gimmick at best and very difficult to get right.
Controlling assembling machines by the network would be nice... maybe also demanding the products to assemble. But not automatic complete-assembling.

Assuming you have to send a product as a signal to select the product, it would be rather tricky - you'll have to use combinators, because every cargo signal could set an assembling machine to produce this item.

Senseless ? Take a circuit board factory as an example. You would be able to balance the raw material usage effective and easier; if the copper supply goes down, you'll normally get more electronic circuits because they take all the copper wire until it reaches the advanced circuit assembling, and therefore the processing unit production stops...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

husky-cgn wrote:Have the assembly machines producing one of the "lower" products AND the desired final product.
That's the entire point of the game: designing factories that produce and transfer all of these items.

So, I don't see that ever happening.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I play Empyrion sometimes. That has a factory in it that does what you're suggesting (Pick a product, it makes all the intermediates).

Difference here: Most of the ships that you get prefab have only 1 factory in them. Even a high end large ship that I built only had 3 in it. It works for the game. You also have no way to take items from one machine to another automatically.

Factorio is an entirely different beast, not only are assembling machines common place, and everywhere, but items and resources can easily be transferred from one to another. It works for the game, a single machine producing more doesn't.

Now what you COULD do is mod in an advanced assembling machine that has a unique recipe list (maybe even with dynamic recipe creation) that can product all these multi-tier products.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

husky-cgn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by husky-cgn »

Hey, thank you for reading my idea and responding.

It was just an idea I had to make the late game more interesting.
Point being is, that maybe ONE intermediate product could be made as well - maybe for higher cost and only for high research cost.

But I see your point, and the more I think about, I think you are right.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”