Cover ore with bricks/concrete

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mini-Me
Inserter
Inserter

Cover ore with bricks/concrete

Post by Mini-Me »

TL;DR
When placing stone bricks or concrete on top of ores, the ores shouldn't be visible through the tile.
What ?
Currently, when you place stone or concrete tiles they'll actually be placed under the ore. Sometimes, when large bases are built, you need to build on top of ores patches, or make sure to remove the ore beforehand, which could take a while though. Being able to cover this ore would be great so it isn't all the way between your machines.
Why ?
Watching a few let's play videos recently I noticed that it can even be very hard to see what's between the machines if there's all the ore around. Especially when (white-ish) ghosts are placed on top of (grey-ish) iron ore things become hard to see. If one could just hide the ore under some concrete that'd help.

Also, this could serve as new mechanic for custom scenarios or mods, too. They could be made so that in order to find some special ore, you first have to remove some tiles to find it. These wouldn't necessarily have to be man made (bricks, concrete), but could also be something more natural, like rubble, volcanic rock, moss or other plants, etc.

What are your thoughts?

Tongs
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Cover ore with bricks/concrete

Post by Tongs »

If you can cover up ore, you cannot see where it is if you want to harvest it.

If you do not want to harvest it, why not use the Ore Eraser mod?

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

Concrete / bricks should cover everything - also these decorative plant doodahs that are remaining some times. And you should have to remove trees before you can build a "street" at their position.

The player builds and it's his fault if he hides resources he wanted to exploit. BTW you'll see the resources still on the overview map.

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

Hmm the concrete near me has tons of "plant doodads" poking through it. Must be a bug in life.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

Selvek wrote:Hmm the concrete near me has tons of "plant doodads" poking through it. Must be a bug in life.
I don't know any "craftsman" who leaves 1 metre sized bushes when he should make a paving or street...

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Factory Lobster »

I find this thread and all replies humorous.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

Yes please! Perhaps covering ore with concrete would also obscure some information about it...
If I were to cover ore with concrete and then go to the map, I'd like it to tell me what ore I covered and where it was, but not how much ore is in the patch. That way, to find out how much ore I covered I'd have to first uncover it.

Also, I do think that concrete in all its forms should remove doodads. With stone bricks, I can imagine grass growing in between the bricks. But with concrete? I want to cover the grass. I use this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CleanConcrete to remove grass when I place concrete
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

The best way to erase ore is obviously to nuke it. Where's the nuke eraser mod? :roll:

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Nah. Nuking it should change it into Uranium. Glowy, green glowy Uranium everywhere!

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

I think it is a good suggestion. It's not just about the ore and visibility. It simply makes sense for it to cover things.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Bricks, concrete, striped, and reinforced concrete should all hide ore from the game, and on the map. If that's expensive / inefficient, just have it be deleted from the game when paved over.

Kilitar
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kilitar »

+1

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

QGamer wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:47 pm
Yes please! Perhaps covering ore with concrete would also obscure some information about it...
If I were to cover ore with concrete and then go to the map, I'd like it to tell me what ore I covered and where it was, but not how much ore is in the patch. That way, to find out how much ore I covered I'd have to first uncover it.

Also, I do think that concrete in all its forms should remove doodads. With stone bricks, I can imagine grass growing in between the bricks. But with concrete? I want to cover the grass. I use this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CleanConcrete to remove grass when I place concrete
I'm also for covering doodads and ores with concrete and it's resulting products. Bricks can cover only ores and they should be visible on the map view always. I think whether ore patch sizes will be visible under concrete should be a setting - maybe this whole idea should have some graphics settings made for it :geek:
Aeternus wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:02 pm
Nah. Nuking it should change it into Uranium. Glowy, green glowy Uranium everywhere!
That's an interesting idea, but what is the use? By the time you make a nuke you have enough uranium ore and processes that you don't need to convert other ores to it,
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AngledLuffa »

I think people making this suggestion are misinterpreting the flavor. There isn't large piles of ore on the ground waiting to be picked up. It's underground, we know where it is, and the drills dig it up for us.

FutureSpec
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FutureSpec »

I too wish grass and ores were covered by concrete.

gabberworld
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gabberworld »

shadow request what i requested is similar for this thing, draw images in right order. I think it will not be fulfilled

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Cliff explosives should undo placed landfill destroy ores

Post by leadraven »

I'd like concrete to hide ores.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Split off-topic suggestion, and merged into the right suggestion thread.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

I like that ore remains somewhat visible.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”