Modded Keybinds: Do not reset for disabled mods

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Modded Keybinds: Do not reset for disabled mods

Post by IronCartographer »

Currently, disabling a mod even temporarily will reset its keybinds to the defaults. It would be nice if keybinds for disabled mods were maintained, and only deleted / reset if the mod were completely uninstalled.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Modded Keybinds: Do not reset for disabled mods

Post by BenSeidel »

Just keeping them always would be preferable, even if the mod has been deleted. Especially useful if you have a setup with multiple mod folders.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

That's a good point, I hadn't considered the effect of mod directory switching. However, storing them globally even when a mod is deleted without a good way to clean them up isn't ideal either...

Maybe modded keybinds should be stored in the mod settings file now that it exists, rather than being lumped in with the base game's hotkey settings.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Mod settings are deleted once a mod is disabled/removed. Just as with keybindings this prevents cluttering.
One way around this would be to have settings and keybinds stored inside the save files. Here too settings & keybinds should be removed when the save is loaded without a mod.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I've got an idea to address these things that might make it's way into 0.16.

Something along the lines of time stamps saved with key bindings/mod settings. When a mod is removed the timestamp would stop getting updated and eventually when it's old enough it would be removed. If you disabled a mod for a few days it would still stick around.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I suppose using a global cache does prevent the issue of having to copy hotkey settings into each mod directory, despite the drawback of hidden behavior (expiration). Interesting idea.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

So long as the duration is configurable and we as users have the ability to set it to never then it sounds like an idea. I still load up maps that I have not played for a year, with all the mods that I used for it, so I would really like those games to be playable without having to rebind the keys every time.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”