Enable Alt-display by default

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

leffe108
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Enable Alt-display by default

Post by leffe108 »

I think if alt-mode was on by default, it will help new players who has not learned yet how to enable it. I always play with it on constantly.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 0.15 woes

Post by d3x0r »

leffe108 wrote:I think if alt-mode was on by default, it will help new players who has not learned yet how to enable it. I always play with it on constantly.
+1
I can concur with that too :) was thinking that watching someone start a lazy bastard playthrough.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Enable Alt-display by default

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Split from other topic, and made a standalone suggestion
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think I pretty much have the alt display mode turned on 99% of the time. I must admit that when I notice it's not on (Probably due to an alt-tab) I press alt to turn it on again.

Now when I was first starting the game, I discovered the mode pretty much by accident, in fact I remember thinking "Why isn't the game showing me that overlay information?" when I started a new game, assuming it was an on by default thing until I pressed a few buttons and figured out how to turn it on.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I normally play with the alt-display off and only turn it on for a second when I need it, but then turn it off again immediately.

Therefore, I am against this suggestion.

However, I do agree that new players should be made aware of the possibility of using the alt-key. But I believe that this should be done in a tutorial and not by changing default behavior.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

From my own experience, and your responses, it seems like what most people do is just leave this toggle either ON or OFF most of the time, and only briefly toggle it the other way. Regardless of what the default is, I think this means that having a keyboard shortcut is unneeded - it could just be a button in the UI somewhere. I personally would prefer it that way, because I hit ALT-TAB to change podcasts, and the game's UI is toggled when I come back.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Having alt as a function in itself is a pain because of alt-tabbing. using it as a combination key like alt+E etc would be fine (not sure what alt+E does if anything), but alt by itself is a pain.

Perhaps instead of having it on by default... add an option to the list of game options "Detail view on by default"?
it would still function as it does now when you actually get into a game, but when you start a new game, it would be turned on instead of off.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

EnigmaticAussie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Enable Alt-display by Option

Post by EnigmaticAussie »

I would suggest to have an option in the interface settings which would allow players to select whether or not they wanted to have alt-mode on or off by default.

It's not a massive deal to push the button, or press the keybind, but it is something I'd rather not have to think about.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”