Fast Ghost Building Placement - Early game help

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

BrainFooLong
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Fast Ghost Building Placement - Early game help

Post by BrainFooLong »

Hi all!

When you've placed ghosts, with blueprints or manually, you can press Q on a ghost to select the item from the ghost from your inventory.
This help building/replacing ghosts a lot.

But, especially in early game, it's a really boring work to exactly build your perfect blueprints by hand.
As long you don't have robots, the work of building things that you already have in a blueprint, is really boring.

My suggestion is to have a key, CTRL, for example, when you hold that down and than clicking on a ghost you will replace this ghost with the real structure, when you have it in the inventory.
So it can speed up early game and skip the real boring work of pixel perfect placement.
You don't have to select and place every single structure by hand.
Just run, hold the key and trigger the mouse on your ghosts.

Late game isn't affected because robots are still the fastest way to build blueprints.

I ask for a native implementation, i don't play modded games.

What you think about that?

tclack
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Fast Ghost Building Placement - Early game help

Post by tclack »

+1

blizgerg
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blizgerg »

If there was a mod for this, I'd want it right now. But I think this is something worth being in vanilla. There are already short cuts for things like, take all in chest or deposit items into chest, why not deposit item into place on blueprint? :D

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

BrainFooLong wrote:What you think about that?
I think this should be in "commonly suggested" as I'm losing count how many times it was suggested already. :-)

It's obviously something that vanilla needs. Current blueprints in early game is only half a step in the right direction. It's a very large step sure, so even half of it is great, but it would be even better to have it completed.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

But it will remove all the skill from Factorio speedruns if you don't have to optimize builds for number of inputs required! /s

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Patashu wrote:But it will remove all the skill from Factorio speedruns if you don't have to optimize builds for number of inputs required! /s
I'm not sure the skill with a mouse is something that's truly important to measure in Factorio. Eliminating it from speedruns means speedruns will depend primarily on optimized layouts and strategically planned blueprints. Now that sounds like a proper Factorio speedrun for me.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

darkfrei wrote:BlueBuild - you will place it automatically.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Mylon/Bluebuild
Best part is the tiny range and that 10/sec is still really slow. So I use thatband still want to upgrade to robots
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

BrainFooLong
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BrainFooLong »

I didn't know that this already was suggested.
I searched through some forums pages but not found something like this.
Well thanks, but as i said, i don't play modded in factorio.
IMHO it should be a vanilla thingy.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

BrainFooLong wrote:
Well thanks, but as i said, i don't play modded in factorio.
IMHO it should be a vanilla thingy.
I play with mods but would prefer this be stock.

It almost replaces the personal roboport (though it also makes creative/sandbox mode a WONDERFUL place to tinker in) but frankly, I don't care.

I hate that in stock, I can place a blueprint but not place an item over it's blueprint without losing the information (like what the assembly machine was to make). ANY mod that fixes that is worth installing, IMO :)

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Lav wrote:
Patashu wrote:But it will remove all the skill from Factorio speedruns if you don't have to optimize builds for number of inputs required! /s
I'm not sure the skill with a mouse is something that's truly important to measure in Factorio. Eliminating it from speedruns means speedruns will depend primarily on optimized layouts and strategically planned blueprints. Now that sounds like a proper Factorio speedrun for me.
It seems to me most likely that Anti will (or has, since I haven't been watching his livestreams lately) place a blueprint for the entire build in the late burner phase, which might lead to a different kind of pixel perfection: avoiding parts of the build that aren't supposed to be started yet. Say, placing a dozen machines on the red circuit line on the way to the oil patch. I've also found it irksome that buildings can't have an "under construction" phase when placed. I therefore propose making an under construction delay available in the API so that it can be implemented in mods.
5thHorseman wrote:I hate that in stock, I can place a blueprint but not place an item over it's blueprint without losing the information (like what the assembly machine was to make). ANY mod that fixes that is worth installing, IMO
+1 on that :mrgreen:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=45635 Improvements for the Construction-Phase (Handling of Blueprints / Ghosts / Copy / Pre-Configuration)

Sorry, for the long delay, but the last weeks I was digged in projects at work. I try to cope up with the forum this week.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”