Edit blueprint / Blueprint Creative Mode: Create/Edit/Test

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Edit blueprint / Blueprint Creative Mode: Create/Edit/Test

Post by BlackKnight »

TL;DR: Create/Edit/Test Blueprints in new Creative Layer

Followed over from Suggestion [Versioning for blueprints] viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48926
DemRat wrote:Given that placing ghosts is a thing, it'd be nice if we could use the same feature to add stuff to blueprints directly.
We can already have any imaginable blueprint anyway by simply creating it in another game and saving it locally, so it'd just make 'creating the right blueprint' or 'fixing this slightly wrong blueprint' easier.
This got me thinking.. Something like this could be very useful but manipulating items directly through the current blueprint interface could be quite cumbersome not to mention impossible for larger blueprints (everything would be extremely small)....

Enter Blueprint Creative Mode
A solution I envision would provide a "Limitless Construction Plane" - A layer outside the normal game layer with checkerboard background just like is used for tutorials.
Think of it as a virtual creative mode where anything is possible - limited only by what is currently researched.

Blueprint Creative Mode Details
- The player would not exist as its an entirely virtual interface. Just like god mode.
- Allow instant placement of items - not requiring a personal roboport or robots to place.
- Allow unlimited inventory of currently researched items -- so no crafting limitations.
- Would pause the game in single player just like the tutorials.
- Optionally a solution for testing throughput - with similar 'unlimited supply' buildings like are featured in the Creative Mode mod for testing throughput. Thus you wouldn't need to generate eg. electricity.
- Would feature easy to access/edit settings - blueprint label, blueprint icons, components within blueprint.
and Environment Setting: environment dimensions, movement speed, show grid... and likely many others.
As shown, additional settings could be expanded or collapsed to provide more space
- Optionally could have an option to select a an item from the Complainants List and replace it with another item (eg upgrade yellow belts with red belts) if space permits in the blueprint.
- Optionally would allow Duplicating blueprints allowing you to have multiple versions of a blueprint.
- Once happy with the design, you would click save and this would render into a blueprint and revert back to the normal view. You could also export the blueprint or delete and exit without saving.
- Optionally a map view - which may or may not be useful - just something players are used to.
- Would allow quickly testing a new imported blueprint to see if it would work for you before using it in game.

Mockup Image - For Full Size: [download/file.php?id=26235], F11/FN+F11 for fullscreen
Factorio-Suggestion-CreativeBlueprintMode.jpg
Factorio-Suggestion-CreativeBlueprintMode.jpg (367.56 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
I have added a blue glow and marquee around the edge similar to what a blueprint looks like to give a sense you were actually working withing a blueprint.

Why This Is Different Than What The Present Game Offers
1 - Unlimited inventory for testing.
2 - Separate environment without anything in the way - trees/rocks/water/others parts of your factory.
3 - Option for tools like Creative Mode mod's for generating test throughput.
4 - Ghosting items and blocking robots from constructing is presently the only option close - the downside is 2 and 3 arent possible and ghosts are much harder to see clearly. They also can't be configured.

Edit: Clarity
Last edited by ssilk on Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blueprint Creative Mode: Create/Edit/Test [w concept image]

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4682 Planning (Signs, Cloning, Ghosts, Blueprinting and more...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

tannyr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Add/edit entities on blueprint

Post by tannyr »

When I'm making a blueprint, sometimes I have to remake my blueprints if I miss a power pole or want to upgrade to medium poles, upgrade inserters, etc...

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

better blueprint edit

Post by nuhll »

Hi,
i suggest the following while being in blueprint edit mode:

1.) zoom blueprints (like mouse wheel, so you can actually see what youre doing on big blueprints)

2.) drag right and left click to allow / disallow (instead of pressing every square)

3.) would it be somehow possible to auto place landfill under items? (when placed on water, like a checkbox "auto landfill" while placing blueprints)?

Thanks

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: better blueprint edit

Post by jodokus31 »

There was this mod, which is now deprecated:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Edit-Blueprints

I currently do it quite similar by having a parallel editor savefile (/editor), where I can place and edit my blueprints (from blueprint library) in real world in creative mode and then recapture the blueprint (select new content).
It sucks a bit to switch the save, but its also a good way to save blueprints apart from the blueprint library.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: better blueprint edit

Post by Koub »

Allow me to point you to these :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50130
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=99718
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75605 (and more specifically the links you'll find in the discussion below)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blueprint Creative Mode: Create/Edit/Test [w concept image]

Post by ssilk »

merged two topics with existing topic

The linked threads from Koub are slightly different
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ThePiachu
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Edit blueprint / Blueprint Creative Mode: Create/Edit/Test

Post by ThePiachu »

I would very much like an editor for blueprints. It's a pain in the ass when you miss one pipe and have to place an entire blueprint just to add it in! Or when you want to rename a train station, or change a Buffer Chest / Requester Chest items, etc. There are many things I'd love to be able to edit in a blueprint without having to place it down!

Heck, if we could place a large mining setup inside of a blueprint without having to go to some debug menu to spawn a large patch of ores that would be great too!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”