Logistics designated chest

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Logistics designated chest

Post by vedrit »

TL;DR
A logistics storage box that can be designated as the "dumping" box for trash or excess items, a sort of passive provider/requestor combo

What ?
Currently, if something gets deconstructed or trashed from inventory, it gets sent to a random storage box if there's no requestor box with room. This suggestions provides a solution.
A logistics box that will passively provide items into the network, but can be set to have an item (One for the sake of simplicity, two if possible) that will always be placed in that box rather than storage, so long as there is room in the box, not counting disabled slots.

Why ?
This is primarily for organizational purposes. The only way to get items into the provider chest from storage, without creating an endless loop where bots endlessly move items from the provider to a requestor, is to move the items by hand.
And an organized factory is an efficient factory.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Logistics designated chest

Post by JohnyDL »

actually you can do a sorting system relatively easily 1 storage box a bunch of filter stack inserters and some clever circuit conditions can get it to have as many as 30 items per box set by player and move to a mass dump at the end for overflow. if you put it near sa commonly used section of your factory (say mall) you can even use belts to reload those areas (so long as you're limiting them with circuit conditions and not chest limiting

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

The point is to not have a mass dumping area.
Let's say you've just deconstructed a large, obsolete portion of your factory. You have all these belts and machines that you have manufacturing for, and so you have passive provider chests almost solely for these individual items. Rather then them all getting sent to a mall or a mass dumping site (Personally, I don't like either of those) the items go to the chests that you have set up specifically for those individual items.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

A mall AKA shopping mall is a mini creation zone for all the useful things in your factory, it makes all the inserters and belts all the production and processing things you need returning everything to the mall isn't the same as a mass dumping area it's the same as returning it to the requester chests that originally provided, there will be some things like science potions that you will probably need to have returned to specific areas with requester chests rather than sort out let me show you a sample of what I mean...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (708.32 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
my mall (by Mike C) is a bit too compact but if I had the patience I could exploded it a little and fit in the sorting system. In the end you end up with exactly one logistics storage chest in your network and only mass storage of unused items (like wood) the sorter is set up like this
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (235.33 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
and the arithmetic is: each multiply -1 -> each and the inserters on set filter. Meaning that the item with the biggest count that isn't filtered out moves onto the next filter box and the item with the biggest count that is filtered goes into it's specific filter.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This thread shows me again, that such a logistic chest would be really nice, but it would bring questionable game-value, cause the current system isn't nearly on it's limit.

On the other hand I see that some change here and there is needed.
Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=43460 Logistic Network and Logistic Chest Extensions
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

so, like, a storage chest with a filter?
so when a robot is choosing a place to store an item, they will aim to fill requests first, then filters, then finally any free slot.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

bobingabout wrote:so when a robot is choosing a place to store an item, they will aim to fill requests first, then filters, then finally any free slot.
Yeah, essentially.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”