Smarter Bot Charge Queue

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

saors
Inserter
Inserter

Smarter Bot Charge Queue

Post by saors »

I think that bots should be smarter when it comes to queueing to be charged.

Instead of all circling around the closest roboport, they should calculate their position in line and how long it will be before they can charge. Once a bot has that time it will then check if there are any other roboports in the network that are close enough to charge them faster, if there are, the bots should go there and charge before continuing with their business.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Smarter Bot Charge Queue

Post by malventano »

I agree with this. Alternatively, I believe a MK2 Roboport would be handy, with faster charging / more charging nodes. This would help prevent the initial problem, which happens later in game as logistics load becomes larger.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The logistic bots are optimized for using low amount of CPU. All that calculations take a while, by adding low gameplay-value.

What I found much more useful in my games was adding a mod that adds small charging-only roboports. :) And THAT I would find indeed a useful addition to the game, cause it is a small sub-game where to add those charge-only ports in an optimal way.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

ssilk wrote:The logistic bots are optimized for using low amount of CPU. All that calculations take a while, by adding low gameplay-value.

What I found much more useful in my games was adding a mod that adds small charging-only roboports. :) And THAT I would find indeed a useful addition to the game, cause it is a small sub-game where to add those charge-only ports in an optimal way.
I follow you, and I've been using that mod myself on a very large map, but I've found that the calculation overhead is actually greater by adding more charging roboports as opposed to modding roboports to have more charging stations (meaning less added roboports themselves).
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

saors
Inserter
Inserter

Post by saors »

malventano wrote:
ssilk wrote:The logistic bots are optimized for using low amount of CPU. All that calculations take a while, by adding low gameplay-value.

I follow you, and I've been using that mod myself on a very large map, but I've found that the calculation overhead is actually greater by adding more charging roboports as opposed to modding roboports to have more charging stations (meaning less added roboports themselves).

That's a good idea. That would make for a good research upgrade. Either Logistics or Energy research could upgrade the number of charge ports.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

saors wrote:I think that bots should be smarter when it comes to queueing to be charged.

Instead of all circling around the closest roboport, they should calculate their position in line and how long it will be before they can charge. Once a bot has that time it will then check if there are any other roboports in the network that are close enough to charge them faster, if there are, the bots should go there and charge before continuing with their business.
They already do this.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

What Rseding means is, that the bots already looks at the charge queue length and if queue is too long the bot chooses another port.
Or in other words (as I understand it): The path to the next roboport is equal to the distance to that port plus the queue length; the shortest path-length wins.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

I am not sure than they have optimized a right thing. If you think a megabase with thousands of bots, better thing to optimize would be used CPU cycles per transported item and distance. Current CPU-cheap bots are very inefficient especially if base is not planned to save CPU. They use slow routes, they run out of charge or thousand bots wait for loading. I think that fighting against hardware limits is not very good challenge in any game, although at some point it may be necessary. I am not sure if there would be more optimal situation, but I do not believe it without better arguments.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”