2 awesome changes to roboports

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Torquai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

2 awesome changes to roboports

Post by Torquai »

I wish there was a way to reduce the area of a roboports supplyarea/ constructionarea/ logistics network.

Because I would like to make smaller, isolated production areas where I don't want my robots to fly everywhere.

Also, I would like to create a different logisics network, even if ports are connected. So that I could keep decluttered compact sites with different demands. And maybe I will let my logistics network share robots or not.

So to summarize:
1. Option to reduce supplyarea/construction area of a roboport down to a minimum
2. Option to detach the roboport from an logistics network. Like the wifi-list of a office-building. Lots of different networks each doing it's own thing.

Claudius1729
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: 2 awesome changes to roboports

Post by Claudius1729 »

edit: I'm dumb, ignore this.

1. Seems like it would be a bit too complicated.
I'm all for 2, which also makes 1. unneeded.

In practice the game can already manage multiple logistic networks, as long as they don't touch each other. 

It would be nice if we could overlap them, and I am curious if that's really hard to implement or a performance issue?
Last edited by Claudius1729 on Wed May 17, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Claudius1729 wrote:1. Seems like it would be a bit too complicated.
I'm all for 2, which also makes 1. unneeded.

In practice the game can already manage multiple logistic networks, as long as they don't touch each other. 

It would be nice if we could overlap them, and I am curious if that's really hard to implement or a performance issue?
Well, 1 would be needed to prevent overlapping from adjacent roboports.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Claudius1729
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Claudius1729 »

Ah sorry dumb answer from me, I didn't realize the kind of problems overlapping network could create, like networks competing for tasks.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Having tunable logistic area would be awesome. Upvoting!

However strongly against the second one. Current game mechanics presume every object belongs to a single logistic network. Otherwise it would be a great confusion for the system and common logic as well.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Having tunable logistic area would be awesome. Upvoting!

However strongly against the second one. Current game mechanics presume every object belongs to a single logistic network. Otherwise it would be a great confusion for the system and common logic as well.
That's totally not the case. Even the developers own maps (V's in particular) have distinct separate networks, spaced out to isolate them from each other.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zool »

I'm also strongly against that sort of changes, simply as its an unneccessary complication of a well working system.

I use split networks a lot, for example a bigger station has its own seperated network to make sure, that the sorting works quickly and with maximum capacity. The only downside right now is, that you need to have the seperate logistic network in mind while building - I just place a ring of hazard concrete in the "unnetworked area" to make sure I don't make any connection by mistake. Its all about planning.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Zool wrote:I'm also strongly against that sort of changes, simply as its an unneccessary complication of a well working system.

I use split networks a lot, for example a bigger station has its own seperated network to make sure, that the sorting works quickly and with maximum capacity. The only downside right now is, that you need to have the seperate logistic network in mind while building - I just place a ring of hazard concrete in the "unnetworked area" to make sure I don't make any connection by mistake. Its all about planning.
You're missing the point of the original poster. They want to be able to have a *smaller* logistic network that can be separated from other sections (just as you are currently doing). They want to be able to have adjacent logistic networks within a smaller space (currently prevented by the roboports auto-linking to eachother if placed too close together).
Allyn Malventano
---

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=43460 Logistic Network and Logistic Chest Extensions
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”