Power and the robots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Deakia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Power and the robots

Post by Deakia »

After looking at many people playing on youtube, and trying to setup an efficient logistic network,
i think there's something missing on the physical structure of the LN. (i really don't wanna keep writing that all the time.)
You see, when we make a LN, we want those pesky little buggers to keep flying around for as long as possible,
which in its time, is limited by two factors: the demand for work, and the individual power.
I kindda think it's a nice idea to have some degree of advancement in the robots, something tier 1,2... robots with stronger attributes to them, and have the existing techs add on to their base stats.

But i don't think that's the ultimate solution.
Bottom line is that it will only slow down the real problem! That being the time it takes to charge a bunch of robots, specially when they're all released at once.
Think of the robot as a taxi.
The taxi driver wakes up, gets in his cab, and goes to work picking up people and dropping them off. When his gas is low, does he come home to refuel? NO! he goes to a gas station!
the gas stations are placed where there's a demand for gas! and here's where my analogy starts being usefull:

Roboports sure as hell should power the robots up as they go home to sleep, and then leave when needed fully charged, but we need robot gas stations!
Something like robot power poles, or robot plazas, i don't have a cool name for it. (but a I do have a cool justification :D )

We need to power the robots outside the roboport, on their way to work, or even while they work!

You see, an electric train gets his power from the line itself, as he moves forward to wherever the hell he's going, why not add that to the robot network!

Picture two things:

1 - a static location, separated from the roboport where da robots can pimp their power out.

2 - a region, perhaps a lane of some kind, a ''highway'' or an aerial plaza where some coils would power up the robots as they pass by! It could be defined by the placement of the coils!

that second idea has the most potential for having more research, making more buildings pop up, and rearranging the setups of bases and schstuff.

I know i wrote a little too long and hard, but hey, some people like that right? haha

Deakia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Power and the robots

Post by Deakia »

Deakia wrote: (i really don't wanna keep writing that all the time.)

and then i didn't say it again.

Zequez
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zequez »

I like the idea. Although I don't like having the entire operation running on the logistic-network, allowing to extend the range of the bots using just "charging stations" would be nice. However, leaving aside the high cost of robo-ports, how would this be different from placing just a lot of roboports?

While it would be nice to connect 2 bases through a logistic network, it could have problems with bots getting a order to go a thousand kilometers away.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Deakia wrote:1 - a static location, separated from the roboport where da robots can pimp their power out.
Like that? https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3798
2 - a region, perhaps a lane of some kind, a ''highway'' or an aerial plaza where some coils would power up the robots as they pass by! It could be defined by the placement of the coils!
that second idea has the most potential for having more research, making more buildings pop up, and rearranging the setups of bases and schstuff.
Indiid... Neiss aidiah. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”