Recycling machine

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Recycling machine

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Hey guys,
I know the game is already really far developed and you don't want to add too many new features, but I would like to suggest an recycling machine. It could just turn all the old stuff you dont really need any more (like weapons such as pistols, basic armour or steel furnaces - when you switched to electric furnaces) in iron and copper plates (of course less then the items are worth).
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Lemlin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Recycling machine

Post by Lemlin »

I feel that most of the items is useful for a long period in the game, and most of the early-game item you remove/upgrade can be either used in an other recipe (assembler 1, stone furnaces) or be burnt (wooden items).
Pistols is cheap and you rarely have more than 1/player, same with armor. Regular ammo is since the 0.15 upgrade used in piercing ammo recipe.
Steel furnaces is maybe the only item you would have left in larger numbers when you upgrade your factory. Why not add them to the turbines recipe?

The only item I have an issue with is iron chests, I always skip them an go from wooden -> steel directly. Why should I use iron chests when steel chests is much more versatile (can be used in crafting logistic chests if I don´t want them)?
Since steel is one of the think you research early-game (and then unlocking steel chest) you usually have eliminated the need of them quickly anyway..

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I like the idea of using early game items in other recipes. And I would be happy if you could do it with every item! But i think that could be quite complicated, because you had to change quite a lot recipes.

By the way, I have done some research of all the items that might get obsolete and you can't turn into useful things:

iron axe (you could just use until it breaks)
pistol
shotgun
gun turrets
light armour up to heavy armour
items for modular armour you don't want any more or you made by mistake

burner mining drill
burner inserter
steel furnace
boiler
steam engine
iron chest
barrels (now where you got fluid wagons)
all the circuit network stuff
(underground-) belts and splitter (if you go for a base with robots only)

and generally all stuff you made to much of by mistake or you don't want/like to use
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21278 Recycling/Disassembling of Waste / Scrap / Trash
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

ickputzdirwech wrote:light armour up to heavy armour
You mean ALL armours (with the exception of MK2 I guess as you would just wear it) since Modular Armour and Power Armour have no means of disposal or retrieving the components. Modular Armour is much better in 0.15 with the cheaper recipe but Power Armour is still extremely expensive for something that will shortly be a paperweight.

I don't particularly like the idea of a recycling machine... Much more natural to build items into their more advanced versions. For example I would prefer Steel Furnaces build into Electric Furnaces, not only does it add another layer of complexity for making Electric Furnaces but you can just feed in your old furnaces as you replace them. This means you're not going to be so hesitant to spend that precious precious Steel on more furnaces to... make... more Steel....

I think it would improve the flow of the game on the whole so you don't feel so rushed to do certain things. Need personal bots? Time to research T3 Speed + Efficiency Modules, make 5 of each, tons of Processing Units, you're madly running around adding more Advanced and Electronic Circuit production and Copper smelting, it's just a mess. If you have to build Modular and Power Armour anyway, might as well use them for a while right?

IMO the whole armour system needs overhauling. Making a Fusion Reactor just from Processing Units? Right. We now have Uranium so makes more sense to have a micro-reactor from 50 U-235 or something. Personal solar panels are a joke, especially being made out of 6 Solar Panels??? Maybe if 1 Solar Panel made 6 Personal Solar Panels it would be worth it. I think they need scrapping entirely and until you can afford personal reactors your suit recharges from your factory's power grid. Currently it seems to try to force you into making expensive and worthless Personal Solar Panels but I just pick the robots out of the air which fully charges them. This isn't healthy gameplay.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”