A handful of thoughts

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Taipion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

A handful of thoughts

Post by Taipion »

Hello everyone! :-)

First of all, I'd like to have the resists display back, right now the tank is just a blank box with HP on it, remember not only graphics provide detail, but also information?
One VITAL information that I got this way when starting to play Factorio, was that walls have 100% fire resists, but now they won't tell you anymore. :-(

For the tank, that brings me to the next thought.
The tank is not really a valid option for late game, and that is ok.
I know it is intended as mid game utility, and fulfills that role very well.

But in a game like Factorio, I'd expect heavy and/or sophisticated machinery in endgame content.
I mean, it can't be that you have a highly powered power armor, that, with just vanilla Factorio, runs very well on 3k shield HP while still providing enough speed and even some lasers shooting on top, and you have a stock of 10k nukes to pave your way wherever you go, and have the reources and tech to surround yourself with 120+ super deadly flying killer robots,
but all you got as transportation is a paper thin buggy and a (in endgame) outdated, medium sized tank.

I'd expect a massive block on chains, like the fatboy from Supreme Commander (I am shocked I forgot what it was called in Total Annihilation ;-;), nothing short of a heavily armed, mobile factory with landing pads to land/carry your hovercrafts who can go above trees at comfortable speed.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a super weapon!
I can already take down any sized nests with just power armor and a flame thrower, yet we also have combat bots and nukes, and turret creep if that's your thing.
I just want something fitting for the more advanced stage of the game.

Also I dearly miss some sophisticated storage, it can't be that the relatively early on available steel chest is already as good (storage space wise) as it gets.
Cluttering whole screens with chests kind of looks dumb, at least to me.

Oh, and construction robots should be tought not to try to repair a wall tile that is surrounded by a firestorm, where they vaporize before even reaching it. ^^
(And tought to follow supply lines/connections of roboports instead of ending in a deadlock somewhere in an undeveloped area just because you have an "L" or so in your roboport network.)

[edit:]
For me as a modular user of modular armor, it would be fantastic if roboports (and MK II roboports) would not defy the laws of physics and destroy energy any time I unequip them, but instead either transfer the stored energy back into the batteries or keep them and not charge again from zero to full when equipping them next time.
Super annoying, really! ;)

[edit2:]
I would really, REALLY enjoy a fast way to turn on/off constant combinators, say, by SHIFT-leftclick or CTRL-leftclick, which would make manual controls in certain (mostly testing) situations much, much faster and more convenient.
Last edited by Taipion on Fri May 05, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ingolifs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: A handful of thoughts

Post by Ingolifs »

Taipion wrote:Hello everyone! :-)

First of all, I'd like to have the resists display back, right now the tank is just a blank box with HP on it, remember not only graphics provide detail, but also information?
One VITAL information that I got this way when starting to play Factorio, was that walls have 100% fire resists, but now they won't tell you anymore. :-(
I would like that back too.

For the tank, that brings me to the next thought.
The tank is not really a valid option for late game, and that is ok.
I know it is intended as mid game utility, and fulfills that role very well.

But in a game like Factorio, I'd expect heavy and/or sophisticated machinery in endgame content.
I mean, it can't be that you have a highly powered power armor, that, with just vanilla Factorio, runs very well on 3k shield HP while still providing enough speed and even some lasers shooting on top, and you have a stock of 10k nukes to pave your way wherever you go, and have the reources and tech to surround yourself with 120+ super deadly flying killer robots,
but all you got as transportation is a paper thin buggy and a (in endgame) outdated, medium sized tank.
I think the car and tank could use some research techs that increases hit points, resistances and acceleration. As others have also suggested, I think an unlockable module grid that can be expanded with research should be added to the tank. After all, it makes sense that if you can stack all these modules onto your power armour, you should be able to attach more of them onto your tank.
I'd expect a massive block on chains, like the fatboy from Supreme Commander (I am shocked I forgot what it was called in Total Annihilation ;-;), nothing short of a heavily armed, mobile factory with landing pads to land/carry your hovercrafts who can go above trees at comfortable speed.
While this all sounds really ambitious, I like the idea of a mobile factory. Imagine if you will a factorissimo style item, but instead of laying down a miniature self-contained factory on the ground, you have it as a module which draws from, and outputs to the tank inventory. The crafting speed would have to be severely reduced to make it balanced, I feel.

Taipion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Taipion »

Ingolifs wrote:
While this all sounds really ambitious, I like the idea of a mobile factory. Imagine if you will a factorissimo style item, but instead of laying down a miniature self-contained factory on the ground, you have it as a module which draws from, and outputs to the tank inventory. The crafting speed would have to be severely reduced to make it balanced, I feel.
That sounds interesting, would make it even more like a "mobile-home-factory". :-)

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

Taipion wrote:Hello everyone! :-)
Indeed. When I first played the new version, I thought the tank had no resistances! :oops:

Please bring them back! I find it very useful to have the numbers so I know what my tank can and can't withstand!
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I totally agree on adding missing display info.

As for late game machinery.
First of all tank acceleration as already boosted by tech - try fueling it with Rocket Fuel and see for yourself.
And yes there definitely should be a tank MK2 with equipment grid. There are some in mods but I am sure one should be in vanilla game as well researched separately.
I'd say being able to equip a single shield would benefit tank greatly - at least robots won't try to repair it every time you hit a tree!

Construction bots being destroyed by fire is a separate issue which was already discussed much.

P.S. It is a bad idea to mix multiple suggestions in one thread. Moderators repeat it all the time.

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Factory Lobster »

PacifyerGrey wrote:And yes there definitely should be a tank MK2 with equipment grid. There are some in mods but I am sure one should be in vanilla game as well researched separately.
I'd say being able to equip a single shield would benefit tank greatly - at least robots won't try to repair it every time you hit a tree!
Yeah man. Tanks need some love. The tank could be upgraded to a pretty bad ass war machine that soaks damage (with better shields than you can have in power armor) and spams whatever you mount on it in all directions with auto targeting. It's kind of weak that the best end-game combat firepower is hopping around in an exoskeleton like a pansy.

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leoch »

Taipion wrote:Also I dearly miss some sophisticated storage, it can't be that the relatively early on available steel chest is already as good (storage space wise) as it gets.
Cluttering whole screens with chests kind of looks dumb, at least to me.
The warehouse mod is good for this. Having big storage boxes also reduces the need for balancing, which seems to be everyone's pet topic here.

+1 to keeping charge level of roboports/batteries

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”