Hot water Geysers / geothermic hot spots for water

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Quantum41
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Hot water Geysers / geothermic hot spots for water

Post by Quantum41 »

I renamed the subject -- ssilk

------------------------
One detail to the game I have found fun to mess with but also difficult to start is a good power grid. Its easy once its started but kinda difficult to maintain and enlarge when you are deep into your game. One thing I think that would be totally killer for Factorio would be Hot water Geysers or like geothermic hot spots for water. This being thought through I was messing with my Power grid and noticed i have about 8 Boilers for every 5-6 Steam Engines. I have to heat up the water to make it the proper temperature for producing electricity. Why not have Geothermic Hot pools (or something of the sort) to make it so water you extract begins at say, 40 degrees... or maybe even 60 depending on the "richness" the map seed has on the individual spots?

I don't know, just a thought I have had for a few days. Let me know what ya think!

MisterSpock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Small ideas

Post by MisterSpock »

We need more alternatives to the actuell energy system. Steamengine only is boring and solarpanel is unbalanced, cause of its non-pollution and non-using-ressources. Geothermal is a fine way for little power in the beginning or for a outpost.

Also Windenergy is much discussed. And not forget fission.

Kazuar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Small ideas

Post by Kazuar »

MisterSpock wrote:We need more alternatives to the actuell energy system. Steamengine only is boring and solarpanel is unbalanced, cause of its non-pollution and non-using-ressources. Geothermal is a fine way for little power in the beginning or for a outpost.

Also Windenergy is much discussed. And not forget fission.
More alternatives are good. I like the idea of fission as alternative to boilers, but more than that I'd like to see a fusion reactor as heat-source.
I mean, we have these portable fusion reactors, let us mount them onto our pipes for free, infinite heating. I don't care if it takes a portable reactor per boiler, or a crazy, 16 by 16 superstructure made from 8 different items that requires on-site construction by inserters/construction bots and something in the area of 5k artifacts.

If it works when portable, it's gonna work when stationarily sitting on the ground, right?

Also, it's interesting to me when people say "solar is king"; I find solar not to be worth it - it's so expensive to build just a single panel (compared to a steam enginge), yet it generates less than 1/10th of the power, on average. You'd need 85 panels per 7 engines, I think (I mathed it out some time ago, thanks to another thread around here), plus accumulators, and with seven-hundred steam engines, it's just too much of a hassle, in my opinion.
Last edited by Kazuar on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Note: I'm actually sorry if my posts come off as rude; english is not my native language, and I'm not aware of all it's nuances. Please do point out my misadoptions in tone!]

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hot water Geysers / geothermic hot spots for water

Post by ssilk »

Belongs strongly to this: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?f=9&t=5

And I was not sure, if geothermic hot water was already discussed, so I leave it here.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”