Fuel Wagons for Trains

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Anyone
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Fuel Wagons for Trains

Post by Anyone »

I would love to see a "fuel wagon" for trains. Regardless of where your locomotive stops, it draws fuel from the fuel wagon. There should be different kind of fuel wagons, nuclear, burner and oil based. This means that your effective range is based on the amount of fuel you can carry along and you don't have to mess around with the positions of your refueling station. For example, I have a 1-1-1 train right now that goes both ways, but my train stations all have 2-4, meaning I cannot ever refuel there because it would insert everything into my wagon (though I could rotate the first locomotive). However, I could say that the 2nd or 3rd wagon would be fore refueling purposes.

Additionally, I would like to have the option to use the circuit system to determine which station is next. Maybe I don't understand the system good enough atm, but it seems to me like you can only have wait conditions. The next station should be configurable. This way, you can have trains automatically refuel when they are low on power, without having to go to that refueling station every rotation.

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Fuel Wagons for Trains

Post by leoch »

Are you planning on increasing train fuel consumption 100-fold? Because right now they can carry enough fuel to last multiple hours of my usual usage.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Anyone wrote:For example, I have a 1-1-1 train right now that goes both ways, but my train stations all have 2-4, meaning I cannot ever refuel there because it would insert everything into my wagon (though I could rotate the first locomotive).
An obvious solution would be to have different refueling stations for different train types.

Though, yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing more elaborate ways of controlling where trains go but that's not something we'd get anytime soon I'm afraid.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

Trains already go an incredible distance on the fuel slots they have- if your trains are running out, try switching them to solid fuel or rocket fuel. It will make them go faster as well as operating longer. These two fuel options also give a boost to acceleration and maximum speed.

It is more or less trivial to have a standard cargo wagon carry additional fuel for the locomotive, and to build stations where the train can stop and have fuel brought forward from this wagon to refill the locomotives. I include the setup to do that in pretty much all of my regular service stations, with the mixed goods trains that bring spare parts for repairs and expansions carrying the fuel to these stations.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”