Alternate power generation from heat

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

js1
Inserter
Inserter

Alternate power generation from heat

Post by js1 »

I wonder, now that in 0.15 are the heat pipes and heat exchangers for nuclear reactors, there could be alternate ways to get heat:
  • Geothermal - special nodes generated on map, where you could draw heat from the magma in the ground.
  • Solar thermal - concentrated solar power to generate heat.
  • Solar beam - put a solar beamer into the rocket, and then catch it on the ground.
I really think though that heat conduction (heat pipes, heat exchanges, steam turbines) should be a separate research from nuclear power.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Alternate power generation from heat

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=31440 Ideas Around Energy Production: Solar, Wind, Water, Nuclear, Fusion ...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

It would also be interesting if Furnaces get such a heatpipe connection to output their waste heat.

Obviously Stone/Steal Furnaces would be much more efficient at that than Electric Furnaces.

Double use of your Smelting area as power plant. xD

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

while an interesting idea, you'd effectively be -lowering- the efficiency of the furnace to draw off what you think is residual heat.

Heat recovery systems are normally relegated to smoke-stacks. Now, if you want to pipe all your smoke output to a central tower, then heat-recovery, possibly as a heat engine built -into- the central tower, would make sense.

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

js1 wrote:I wonder, now that in 0.15 are the heat pipes and heat exchangers for nuclear reactors, there could be alternate ways to get heat:
  • Geothermal - special nodes generated on map, where you could draw heat from the magma in the ground.
  • Solar thermal - concentrated solar power to generate heat.
  • Solar beam - put a solar beamer into the rocket, and then catch it on the ground.
I really think though that heat conduction (heat pipes, heat exchanges, steam turbines) should be a separate research from nuclear power.
I had the first two ideas on this list when the devs announced the heat-point system.

My list also included separating the fuel burning from the water boiling for fuel-based systems. Put a heat exchanger next to a Solid Burner or Liquid Burner and make steam from the relevant kind of fuel.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”