Steam turret

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DragonPox90210
Inserter
Inserter

Steam turret

Post by DragonPox90210 »

This is an idea that i came up with when i spawned with a bunch of nearby lakes. A turret that shoots steam to burn enemies,it would create a splash affect hurting multiple enemies and even the player and the burns would slow down enemies(have you ever been burned?) It would require a pump and a few boilers to keep the water out so it isnt exactly a free defence. As for the turret itself it should be a larger object (about the size of an assembler) i will post an image of what i have in mind later. Love the work :)

orbito
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Steam turret

Post by orbito »

Turrets that do weak damage and have limited range would get destroyed by Creepers fairly quickly.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

The idea of a "hot water turret" is pretty nice. It would be another alternative for base defence.
The problem with the limited range could be made up by a recoil effect. The creeper would be repelled by the turret and couldn't destroy it. The weakness of the turret would be the limited ammo. It uses much hot water, which has to be stored in a kind of "hot water tank". Many boilers (and much coal) would be needed for continuous fire of the turret.
The steam turrent / "hot water turret" could repell the creeper while the normal turrets on the back line kill them.

Maybe someone else likes the idea. :)
Last edited by Nova on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FlamingNx9 »

Why not have a long range and a continuous jet of water spraying at the creepers.That means that they have to charge up before they shoot,and have at lease 2 pump directly into one turret?

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Weird idea
But cool, and very weird, lol
A pushing turret is needed :D

But if the turret can push mobs, and the damage is in a zone, then creepers will never be able to reach the turret...

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

That is the reason why the tower should use to much hot water over time to be able to defend much creeper if it is alone. Continuous fire over long time would need huge amounts of boilers, otherwise the tower would make much less damage, because the lower the temperature, the lower the damage and knock back.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

So it can have like a tank that is used in 30 secs or so, and then it stops untill it gets more water, is like a secondary turret that cant be alone

EditorRUS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EditorRUS »

OK. You forgot about one thing - the ambient temperature. After some distance a steam will cool, loses energy, and become water.
To make steam reaches the Creepers, necessary that pressure has been really great, and in this case it is easier not to use steam, but water. Even if turret would use steam, then it should use huge amount of pumps. Althrough that, the idea is good.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

EditorRUS wrote:OK. You forgot about one thing - the ambient temperature. After some distance a steam will cool, loses energy, and become water.
To make steam reaches the Creepers, necessary that pressure has been really great, and in this case it is easier not to use steam, but water. Even if turret would use steam, then it should use huge amount of pumps. Althrough that, the idea is good.
He didnt forgot about the ambient temperature, he said that the turret will have a short range

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Content of this thread really surprised me...

This idea is really nice, spraying creepers with boiling water / steam? (how can you atack one with steam? it has low density compared to water) :P

Dylems
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dylems »

It will be like playing at Plants vs. Zombies =D

Lelouch Vi Britannia orders you...

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

it might make a good front line turret, with regular turrets behind it, it'd be better if it worked as a giant firehose but the more heated the water is the more bonus damage it gets
knockback = base + (bonus * (pressure/100)
Damage = base + (bonus * (temp/100)

so it would still function with a mininal setting (but requiring power) but the higher the setting the better it preforms

also, in a way it sounds like a cheap flame turret(safe to use in a base too

Hanse00
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hanse00 »

High pressure? :p
There's no problem with shooting high pressure steam out of a cannon, just a question of how far it would make it.

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FlamingNx9 »

why not have the steam and the water cannon like turret to work with each other?Like example,while the water cannon is charging or starting to refuel again,the steam turret can unleash a small area of effect like steam that is really hot(10 to 15 sec).And the idea for the water cannon(note,not the steam turret) is that it got a heat level that slowly builds up as it eats coal.At first it will take a massive amount of coal to get it started,but after it reach 99 Celsius,it slowly burn coal.
Edit:they both have self boilers

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

water at 99°C damages more than steam at 200 or MOAR 300 400°C, but it pushes
Also I dont think it should totally kill a creeper

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

ficolas wrote:water at 99°C damages more than steam at 200 or MOAR 300 400°C, but it pushes
Also I dont think it should totally kill a creeper
exactly, minor damage + stun even just stunning it makes things easier on you if the steam turret is backed by other turrets

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Just want to push this thread. I still like the idea of a water / steam turret. A stun / slow effect would make the turret kind of unique and useful together with other turrets (laser / gun).
Greetings, Nova.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

As it was already sad making steam turret which does lots of damage is quite inprobable as it would require huge amounts ofhot steamd water to be released instantly to become dangerous. Not to mention the extreemly close range. Have you ever seen pepole walking through steam cloud that steam locomotives creates? At the point of it being released it has more than 100 degrees celsius but after a mether of distance it already cols down to about 40 degrees celsius which might give only slight burns. After two methers it is so cool that perfectly safe.

But I think there is still a way for using steam as posible weapon in Factorio. Imagine this:
You lay down bunch of buried steam pipes around your walls and when crepers/biters come you release the steam. Such steam will only burn them slightly in the beggining but will become more deadly with time as it would gradually raise air temperature above the ground. So in the end it would be cooking crepers/biters alive.
Small biters would get damaged more quickly becouse not having thick armor. But for big biters it would take some time before they start reciving damage from steam.
Also steam would create a dense cloud which will limit the creper/biter sight so this might give you some advantage fighting them as they won't be able to see you. Of course you should keep out of the steam cloud or face same consequences as they do.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”