Trailers for haulage

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Ingolifs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Trailers for haulage

Post by Ingolifs »

I think it would be useful to have the ability to make additional trailers that can be hooked up to the car or tank, and give it extra storage space at the cost of speed. Naturally, the speed decrease that arises from increasing the number of trailers on a car would be greater than the speed decrease of adding more trailers on a tank. Furthermore, as the number of trailers increases, actions such as turning sharply and reversing become more difficult.

In terms of actual inventory space, each trailer should hold a similar amount to a train wagon, and the boot of the car/tank should be greatly reduced to compensate for the existence of trailers.

The number of trailers could theoretically be unlimited, although practically speaking, large numbers would slow the car/tank down so much that it just wouldn't be worth hauling them.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Trailers for haulage

Post by Engimage »

Can you please explain what purpose should this serve?
At this point of time transporting large amounts of cargo for long distance is only required for outpost building or bulk transportation between outposts. And outposts are intended to work automaticly so you will need automated transportation set up anyways and you need railroad for that. If you build railroad you will be able to transport all you need using trains so why bother? Careful planning and automation will let you get around mostly empty handed so you most likely never need your vehicle cargo bays anyways.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

well, you can only drive one car/tank. if you're out exploring, pulling trailers would be a reasonable way to bring more base setup materials with you at a time.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Due to the way the tank turns it wouldn't be feasible to attach a trailer.

As for cars there are extremely limited uses for trailers. Sure if you're off on an alien artefact hunt but they're being removed in 0.15 or maybe if you're out collecting tens of thousands of wood but the only purpose for that I can think of would be if you're running your electrics entirely on wood which is too obscure a use to warrant putting it in the game.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think the best way to do something like this would be to create a new vehicle. HGV (heavy goods vehicle).

Either it could be just a big van that has excessive storage space to begin with (and lets face it, you could probably just mod one of those in, assuming someone drew the graphics), or could be something with a smaller storage space, able to pull large storage wagons.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

As has been suggested elsewhere, a vehicle (forklift?) that can transport one or more [filled] chests might satisfy this request.

Though I too have wished for a hand-cart or some-such to let the player character haul extra stuff.

And yes, I have used the car for such purpose, but I have real problems driving the little beast. Too much acceleration, i think.

Ingolifs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ingolifs »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Due to the way the tank turns it wouldn't be feasible to attach a trailer.

As for cars there are extremely limited uses for trailers. Sure if you're off on an alien artefact hunt but they're being removed in 0.15 or maybe if you're out collecting tens of thousands of wood but the only purpose for that I can think of would be if you're running your electrics entirely on wood which is too obscure a use to warrant putting it in the game.
My response to 'Why would you want more carry space?" is "Why wouldn't you want more carry space?"

The main use, at least for me, would be in carrying around defensive fortifications for when i'm expanding my territory. Otherwise, I find I have to make multiple trips back and forth between my main bus and the remotest parts of my territory. This isn't too bad when you're just using laser turrets, but if you decide to use gun turrets instead, and your setup is too compact to allow for auto-feeding (such as a 3 deep turret wall), you'll need to carry around a ridiculous amount of ammunition. Assuming you put 50 magazines into each turret, that's 160 turrets you can fill up with a full car boot of magazines.

That's this many turrets:
160guns.png
160guns.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2598 times
That picture was taken at maximum zoom out. It would take dozens of trips to supply the defenses of an average sized megabase with only a car.

There are plenty of other uses for having a large amount of non-railway based transportable storage space. Solar panel building and landfilling lakes come to mind. Currently, these are tasks I work on inbetween other tasks, a little at a time, because the resources you carry around never seem to last as long as you expect them too.

Also, I want to pretend to be Mark Watney.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

[quote="Ingolifs"

The main use, at least for me, would be in carrying around defensive fortifications for when i'm expanding my territory. Otherwise, I find I have to make multiple trips back and forth between my main bus and the remotest parts of my territory. This isn't too bad when you're just using laser turrets, but if you decide to use gun turrets instead, and your setup is too compact to allow for auto-feeding (such as a 3 deep turret wall), you'll need to carry around a ridiculous amount of ammunition. Assuming you put 50 magazines into each turret, that's 160 turrets you can fill up with a full car boot of magazines.

That's this many turrets:
160guns.png

That picture was taken at maximum zoom out. It would take dozens of trips to supply the defenses of an average sized megabase with only a car.

There are plenty of other uses for having a large amount of non-railway based transportable storage space. Solar panel building and landfilling lakes come to mind. Currently, these are tasks I work on inbetween other tasks, a little at a time, because the resources you carry around never seem to last as long as you expect them too.

Also, I want to pretend to be Mark Watney.[/quote]

then don't start with a 3 deep turret wall and instead start with a sparse 1 deep wall until you have setup the supply train and logi network that will bring the resources for and build the 3 deep wall. It's unlikely that biters will be attacking you immediately anyway.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

It's not so much "why would you want more carry space", it's "what reasoning can you provide to add another recipe to an already bloated crafting interface?" As it stands the tank sees very little use, the car even less, and the only reasoning you can provide for a trailer is using it for defences that are frankly overkill for 95% of games and that normally you would build up over time anyway, and even then of the small percentage of players doing this on a large scale the majority of those probably have nearby rails which can potentially supply an infinite number of walls, turrets, ammo, rails, whatever, provided you have an appropriate loading station.

Also, why bother with three-deep gun turrets if they're not even autofed? At max firing speed they'll probably run out of ammo within a single wave of biters if you need them that densely packed. Stack Inserters between each one (feeding along the wall) might space them out a bit further but the continuous fire is worth it. Also 3 deep walls do little more than a single wall, Big and Behemoth biters attack in AoE and will hit multiple layers so for them to have any effect you would need to space them out. You could remove the middle row and see practically no difference. I believe Big Biters hit 2 layers and Behemoths hit 3, but honestly if the biters have time to gnaw through the walls then the spitters have had more than enough time to take out your turrets so personally I think it makes no difference.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This mod implemented trailers:
viewtopic.php?f=211&t=9341&p=74633

Currently there is only the bulldozer: https://mods.factorio.com/?q=bulldozer

No trailers included. :(

But the source/graphics ( https://github.com/Cheata/bulldozer/ ) has "open license"... :?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”