Item Shredder! (For scrap parts)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

redlabel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Item Shredder! (For scrap parts)

Post by redlabel »

I had an idea that it would be cool to have an item shredder that gives you back materials when breaking an item. It would give you the most basic elements. So for example a red chip would give you iron, copper, plastic...

The return could be something like 50% of the cost of the original product but you could bump it up to 60-80% using research maybe. Thoughts? I think it would be a neat idea even for a mod..
✧COMFY FACTORIO✧ - Home of Biter Battles, Fish Defense, Chronotrain.. And More!

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Item Shredder! (For scrap parts)

Post by impetus maximus »

there are recycle mods. would love to see a shredder version though. ;)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

As I've said to every other person who "had this idea": why? You make virtually zero useless items long-term and the few you do (burner drills, wooden boxes, small electric poles) account for <1% of the total resources you spend to get to the rocket.

It's not worth the development time it would take to even think about how we would implement it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

Rseding91 wrote:As I've said to every other person who "had this idea": why? You make virtually zero useless items long-term and the few you do (burner drills, wooden boxes, small electric poles) account for <1% of the total resources you spend to get to the rocket.

It's not worth the development time it would take to even think about how we would implement it.
+1

if you want to get rid of items:
- place a chest
- fill the chest
- destroy the chest

or use a trash button

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21278 Recycling/Disassembling of Waste / Scrap / Trash

And as already explained: I think to the pure number of links in that thread the dev-team can absolutely generate the need of something that enables to kick away unused stuff.
Just plug that "cleaner" near to a chest and it sucks up everything, plug it to a belt -> Stuff is gone. Plug it to a pipe -> Liquids are sucked up. And so on.
It's just a simple implementation of what's already available in the Creative Mode mod.

In my eyes a simple "cleaner" device. Btw- be really really needed with liquids, cause things can really go wrong there and you suddenly have hundreds of pipes filled with the wrong liquid.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

redlabel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by redlabel »

Rseding91 wrote:As I've said to every other person who "had this idea": why? You make virtually zero useless items long-term and the few you do (burner drills, wooden boxes, small electric poles) account for <1% of the total resources you spend to get to the rocket.

I think not everything that a game contains needs to be "useful" or "optimal" or "efficient". In fact, if we were efficient about our own time we might not play Factorio in the first place! ;)

But for me, little details make a game great. I'm not saying this particular thing needs to be implemented. From an aesthetic perspective, the shredder thing (and graphic) would fit the Factorio style so well. But agree, this might be better for mods! I mean, 80% of things can probably be done better with Mods! But we still suggest them in case staff likes it and adds it to Vanilla. It is more of a brainstorm than a proper request. It is the FridayFacts of the plebs! (BTW, I just realized you are a dev and your "Official" Server is actually official... Until know I thought it was a phony -yet nice- "official" server).

Since I have your attention, what I would really love, is for proper multiplayer mod support. I think we talk about this yesterday. Allow for clients to download mods and negotiate mods on the go, while the game is loading. I'm not sure how big is your average mod pack, but most of them are probably not much larger than the average map size.. And you don't need to download it every time. Many other online games have this and this is such a must. If you do this right, then the community can take care of a lot of new stuff and staff can focus on the back-end dynamics.

Great server BTW (playing ATM) so yeah. Cheers,
✧COMFY FACTORIO✧ - Home of Biter Battles, Fish Defense, Chronotrain.. And More!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”