Deconstruction chest

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Stevetrov
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Deconstruction chest

Post by Stevetrov »

The idea is to have a new entity called deconstruction chest.

The deconstruction chest will be the top priority for deconstruction robots to place their deconstructed items. And deconstruction robots will place deconstructed items in the nearest deconstruction chest if it has space regardless of it current contents. If a deconstruction chest is not available they will act as they do now.

When constructing items a deconstruction chest has the same priority as a storage chest (or passive provider) so that construction bots will take items from a nearby deconstruction chest in priority to a much more distant chest.

Why do I think this is a good idea?

If I am redesigning part of my factory I don't want my construction bots to take my items half way across the map only for them to have to bring everything back when they rebuild it.

If I am clearing trees I want my bots to concentrate on ripping down the trees not carrying the wood around.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Deconstruction chest

Post by AileTheAlien »

Couldn't you achieve your intended effect just by placing storage chests beside where your robots are deconstructing and reconstructing beuildings?

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Not sure about dedicating to deconstruction but it would probably make sense to make one dedicated to both deconstruction/construction.
It was already suggested to make one for construction purposes. I think it would be nice to have one for both. It would make much sense for massive build/rebuild actions.

I will try to describe its functions in detail.

1. Construction chests are prioritized over storage chests when construction bots deconstruct items.
2. Construction chests are prioritized when constructing stuff by construction bots.
3. Construction chests are IGNORED by logistic robots.

What goals do we meet with this change

1. You can create a combo of requester/construction chests to prepare massive builds
2. You can speed up rebuilds preventing construction bots moving deconstructed items to storage chests far away that already contain such items (current behaviour)
3. You can speed up deconstruction by making combos of construction/active provider chests combining powers of construction/logistic bots.

Stevetrov
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Stevetrov »

AileTheAlien wrote:Couldn't you achieve your intended effect just by placing storage chests beside where your robots are deconstructing and reconstructing beuildings?
This is what I have been doing, buthe storage chest logic isn't optimised for this scenario.

So bots can end up taking items to a storage chest that is far away in preference of what that is very near by.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=43460 Logistic Network and Logistic Chest Extensions
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Stevetrov wrote:This is what I have been doing, buthe storage chest logic isn't optimised for this scenario.

So bots can end up taking items to a storage chest that is far away in preference of what that is very near by.
Bots do deliver to the closest requester chest. But that way has problems it's own problems.

Aramorgot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aramorgot »

Probably wouldn't be detrimental to the game, but something that should be lower on a priority list I'd say. There's other issues that are more important :D

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Not sure about dedicating to deconstruction but it would probably make sense to make one dedicated to both deconstruction/construction.
It was already suggested to make one for construction purposes. I think it would be nice to have one for both. It would make much sense for massive build/rebuild actions.

I will try to describe its functions in detail.

1. Construction chests are prioritized over storage chests when construction bots deconstruct items.
2. Construction chests are prioritized when constructing stuff by construction bots.
3. Construction chests are IGNORED by logistic robots.

What goals do we meet with this change

1. You can create a combo of requester/construction chests to prepare massive builds
2. You can speed up rebuilds preventing construction bots moving deconstructed items to storage chests far away that already contain such items (current behaviour)
3. You can speed up deconstruction by making combos of construction/active provider chests combining powers of construction/logistic bots.
It seems to me that this could also be implemented as just an option for storage chests. Open up a storage chest, in the space where a requester chest has the logistics requests, have a checkbox for "Construction Priority Mode", which does as you suggest.

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leoch »

Aramorgot wrote:Probably wouldn't be detrimental to the game
Except that we go from four types of logistic chests to five.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to set logistic requests on yourself or in a requester chest? Bots always pull from storage before passive provider chests. So what if you sometimes get extra stuff in storage, I say :lol:

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

PacifyerGrey wrote:3. Construction chests are IGNORED by logistic robots.
Bad idea. You'll end up manually clearing any non-buildings from them all the time. Any wood, or ore/halffabricates that BulldozeBots picked up from belts or from inside buildings will clog these chests fast. Logistic bots should be able to use them as passive provider chests.

Also, to reduce wood lugging amount, starting a few forestfires prior to clearing dense forests really speeds things up. A flamethrower personal weapon is your friend :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”