Single user account.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Single user account.

Post by AileTheAlien »

TLDR:
It would be very nice if I could use a single account for everything Factorio.

Long:
Right now, I've got separate accounts for:
- multiplayer
- these forums
- mod downloading
- the wiki (if my request is approved)

It would be very nice if this were all a single account; I've already got a too-long list of passwords / accounts I need to keep track of. It's possible that I did something wrong, but as far as I can tell, these are all entirely separate.

Bonus:
If I could use my Steam account, that'd be ideal. I have no clue how easy or hard Valve has made that, though. :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Single user account.

Post by bobingabout »

The username and password should be the one you bought the game with(Unless of course you used steam) so that one is already integrated.
This should also be the same username you need to use in multiplayer (As that, at least for those who download from the website, not using steam, is the same one you use to download the game with, check for updates, and log into the mod portal.)

Which basically leaves you with a grand total of 3 passwords. 1 for your Factorio account (Download the game, check for updates, use the mod portal), 1 for the forums (As the forum software is pretty much a stock download with a new skin, as such it uses it's own un-integrated database) and 1 for the wiki (Same deal as the forums).

Although it IS possible to have a forum (and maybe a wiki) link up to your central database, this is not done for Speed and Security reasons. The topic of using the same account details to log into the forum and wiki as you do to log into the game has come up before, and the devs basically shot it down for the reasons I've gone into.... it would be hard to do, likely slow everything down, and possibly cause a security hole. Not to mention taking time away from developing the game to do something non-essential like this.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Single user account.

Post by AndrewIRL »

AileTheAlien wrote:It would be very nice if I could use a single account for everything Factorio.
Steam users are the vast majority of users.

Was going to make the exact same suggestion, found this.

Not even clear on why I need a Barrier to Entry (password) at all. Decrease the security risk (of leaking my password in plaintext) by completely removing the login requirement for mod downloading. This will increase the audience for the mods and save us remembering at least one password. Many of us are suffering from password proliferation fatigue.

@bobingabout Your mods are awesome, amazing work.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”