Auto-Toggle Mods When Switching Between Diff. Saves or MP

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Auto-Toggle Mods When Switching Between Diff. Saves or MP

Post by noliVe »

Rseding91 wrote:
noliVe wrote:SO Please EXPLAIN ME why this is NOT possible?!
Because we haven't programmed it yet.
yes i am sorry dont get me wrong ;) but can you feel the pain?
and just one missing or outdated mod , or even an older serverversion mod kills all the fun having mods

Taszi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Taszi »

I just looking for this feature also, I have several different save games, with different mod setup, like Bob's factory gameplay, Hardcorio, and Space-X and so on, based on which friends I play.
If I load a save game, the game could ask? I would like to use the current mod setup or switch the mods based on the Save file needs?
When I try to connect to a server I have manually download and toggle the mods, what I would like to use. It can't be download automatically based on server needs?

+1 :!: It's seems to be a simple development, I will appreciate it.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Rseding91 wrote:
noliVe wrote:implemeted in v. 0.15
No it's not.

Part of the reason I haven't done it yet is because there are no 0.15 mods to test with. The other reasons are: do you really want to upload all of the mods you have when someone joins? When you have waitex and have to upload half a gig per player?

What if you edit the mods locally - then downloading them off the mod portal doesn't work.
Sorry if I missed a post elsewhere.
But was previously thinking that if the game mandated that config files were done in a certain way (say must be in a "config" dir in the mod or whatever), couldn't the game use https://mods.factorio.com since you have that now to get mods missing locally (and cache them, e.g. like a maven local repo), and just transfer the small configs from the server/save-file?

Of course if mods are not under a free to redistribute/etc licence AND uploaded to your mod portal the game cant in that case, but it covers the majority of use cases?

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

I definitely feel the pain. (Mainly when I switch from my modded single-player game to my vanilla multiplayer game.)

I found this video from XTerminator VERY helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEOedyrFQ_g

This is a trick that lets you install different mods in different directories and then (fairly) easily switch between them. You still have to download and update the mods yourself though.

I would love to be able to easily switch between mods that I have already downloaded. I'm just talking about Factorio handling different versions of mod-list.json. Seems easy enough to implement.

I would also love to be able to click on a multiplayer game and the game automatically downloads the mods from the mod portal. If a mod is huge then show a warning message first. No support for auto-downloading a mod that has been modified from the mod portal's version.

Both of these are quality of life issues and I hope they can be addressed.
(As far as I'm concerned, as soon as someone modifies a mod locally they're on their own.)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”