Defensive water cannon/turret

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Defensive water cannon/turret

Post by Jon8RFC »

Hook it up to an offshore pump and it can provide a broad or focused stream, depending on tech research and the water connection.
Broad:
wide coverage, but much less of a slow down
ineffective against larger aliens
zero damage with a broad stream

Focused:
briefly target the largest alien within range, then switch to another
the aliens ramp up to full speed over 1-2 seconds after it's no longer targeted
not have multiple cannons focus on an already slowed alien
slow any smaller aliens within immediate proximity of the target
maybe some very minimal damage with a focused stream to only the smallest aliens caught next to the primary target

It might be fun to have a little variety, similar to slowdown capsules, for defense. Although I've not once used a slowdown capsule in my 400+ hours (never used a single capsule other than the destroyer) and have no idea how they work, maybe the game mechanics for it could be applied to the water cannon, but visually it could look different. It would be a little overpowered to have a general launcher for all capsules as a defensive turret, I think.

Maybe for some balance, it can require a hefty amount of power to create water pressure (require a significant number of electric pumps for construction as well) and suffer certain penalties. To provide a focused stream alternative, technology research to support multiple pipe inputs; retain the single pipe/pump volumetric flow limits, but require multiple inputs and offshore pumps on their own pipes to increase volume and allow a focused stream to slow the biggest biters/spitters. Effectiveness of the cannon could be dependent upon the pressure/distance of an offshore pump and be positively/negatively affected by electric pumps moving water over long distances. If connected to an offshore pump that supplies anything else, all flowing water is diverted and pulled by the water cannon's internal electric pumps. It could be a pretty helpful slow down device, but have negative consequence of making flame turrets and flame throwers less effective at first. Aliens could dry out over a short period of time just as flames burn out over time, or else a flame turret/thrower will first have to steam off the moisture causing little damage for a brief (I don't know, 1-3 seconds) period until they're dry and full flame damage is permitted. Maybe I'm overthinking and overpowering it now, but there could be positive consequences of moisture, in that something like a discharge defense or other electrical current can more readily jump between aliens within close proximity of each other. They're aliens, so maybe they have an inherently high electrical insulation and resistance that the water may mitigate in some way.

Switching between modes may make things too much of a nuisance for management, so a simple tech upgrade to switch to focused stream would be used when larger aliens breed. Requiring an additional pipe run and offshore pump for the focused stream could make it annoying enough to not be overpowered, and it would stay in broad stream mode until a second offshore pump was connected.

Is this a worthwhile idea, or just fun in principle and not in practice? I play in peaceful mode on my own, but in multiplayer people don't seem to typically play in that mode, so I get involved with defenses there.

Ingolifs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Defensive water cannon/turret

Post by Ingolifs »

I like the idea of a water turret. Maybe not quite as you described, but with a simple slowdown action while targeting a single creature that stops once the creature is no longer targeted. (It doesn't really make sense to me that the enemies would speed back up over time as they dry out). If this was combined with some more interesting enemy AI (whereby aliens, especially in the early game, tend to run away from threats rather than attack them with infinite aggression), I could see this as a good early turret.

In regards to water use, water is essentially infinite anyway, and if these turrets consumed large quantities of it, then players would simply just learn to use more pumps and keep the pipes separate from the production line.
I think the range of the turret should be proportional to the quantity of liquid in the pipe. This would serve as a much more intuitive visual guide to how much flow you have to the turrets.

Finally, I think this water cannon turret should be usable with other liquids... such as sulfuric acid.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

I too like the idea.

Maybe someone could make a modded flamethrower turret, change the graphics, and change the fluids needed. I'd imagine sulfuric acid would do damage rather than push biters back.

Unique_Pineapple
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Unique_Pineapple »

Maybe hot water created using boilers could deal additional damage. I like the sulfuric acid turret idea.
Last edited by Unique_Pineapple on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

Love the idea but would prefer no damage. Have the water as a less than lethal option which calms the biters down (decreases their aggro) and causes them to lose interest and wander off. Then we can live in harmony with nature! Aggro due to combat (either being damaged or seeing nearby biters damaged) should be immune to the effect.

Should also make the ground sodden causing a speed penalty to movement (including on the player) but ground dries out. If used in combination with a flamethrower each effect should largely cancel the other out. Can put out forest fires.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”