Exploration rewards in Factorio

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Machine Medic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Exploration rewards in Factorio

Post by Machine Medic »

Something I've been hoping to see implemented for some time now are generated ruins/structures/bonuses/treasure/anything that is randomly placed far away from the spawn on the map (and possibly gives loot) in order to encourage exploration. Sort of like the villages, dungeons, or mineshafts found in Minecraft.

I'm aware that Factorio is not primarily an exploration game, but this is one of those little end-game things that could help keep peoples' interest over the long term. It would give endgame players a break from launching another rocket, or grinding Flight Speed to level 99.

I would love to have a legitimate reason to get in a tank and just drive as far as I can in whatever direction I chose just to see if I can find anything cool out there. Maybe find some alien ruins or ship wreckage that contain an uncraftable recipe component that is necessary for making a visually or audibly unique (not OP) gun, vehicle, armor suit, or anything (hell, even a gold ingot so you can build a golden inserter trophy to place in your base or something). Maybe a backstory element or snippet? Something to reward you for taking the time to answer the question: "I wonder what's out there?". Something that makes you feel like you finally found a secret after spending an hour increasing your savefile to 20MB.

Examples from Minecraft:

https://youtu.be/M4rxHL1qMXg?t=19

Thoughts?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”