Additional technologies for map / minimap

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Additional technologies for map / minimap

Post by Mooncat »

Suggestion:
add some prerequisite technologies for unlocking the map and minimap, also the new info and tags in FFF #180.
e.g.
"Minimap" - unlock the map and minimap (or "Radar" - unlock map + minimap + radar?)
"Advanced Minimap" - unlock custom tags
"Logistic Network Management" - unlock logistic network info

When I first read FFF #180, my first reaction was: wow, that's so <3<3<3<3 cool!!! 0.15 will make Factorio fresh again!!!
But the next second, I wondered whether the new things are too OP.
You are on an alien planet. You are assumed to know very little about it. How can you tell there is copper ore when you first see it on radar? And you even know its quantity!? :?
That's when I first had the idea of requesting additional technologies for unlocking the info and tags. And I saw some other people wrote about this too.

And then, just a few minutes ago, I thought it would be interesting if this idea is extended to something that has existed since long time ago: the map and minimap.
Don't provide them at game start. Build a lab and research for them!
According to the very old trailer, Factorio is still playable without the minimap, isn't it? :lol:

Even if it is too crazy, considering color-blinded players really need the ore info text, at least make these moddable (additional technology effects). :P
(I know we can already lock/unlock the minimap by setting LuaPlayer::minimap_enabled, but it doesn't affect the big map. We can still press M to open it.)

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Additional technologies for map / minimap

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Quantities, yes, that would be a pretty cool research and usually you're not too interested in it early in the game. There aren't really enough "informational" researches, being able to research things like biter evolution, time of day, train GUI, power network info, production stats, etc would make for interesting choices. Do you research stuff you can build, or give yourself better tools for managing everything?

Disabling the map at the start is not such a good idea I think. It's used to get an idea of how good the starting area is and you might need it to find your starting resources as they don't always spawn on-screen.

Deposit type, no I think that should be enabled by default and I'm not just saying that because I'm colourblind.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I don't really see any gameplay benefit gating these map things behind a technology

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

People just enjoy researching things. I don't think really matters what it is but they should be happy with the unlimited research techs when 15 drops.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Hi,

I support this. Although I haven't a precise idea of how many techs.

Gameplay benefit (sort of) : it would kinda say to the player : " hey, map has some advanced tools, check it !". I'm afraid otherwise that all those features would be left behind by new players, because when you discover Factorio, you see a roboport icon on the map, you click on it, nothing happens, so you forget it.
To discover this map tool at the right time (when you have roboports) would provide a greater chance that the player likes and uses the tool.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

I agree with DanGio's point, which I haven't thought of before. It would be good if you don't provide everything at game start as they may be too complicated to new players, or even old players who are new to 0.15, like us. Gating these things behind technologies can give players time to study the new features one by one. It is like a tutorial, but merged in normal gameplay.
Also for the map info, the logistic network info shouldn't be available before one has actually unlocked the logistic network. The train info shouldn't be available either before one has actually unlocked train.

About the map/minimap.... I said that because I remembered back to the days when I was playing Minecraft, I don't like to use any minimap mod. But yes, maybe this idea isn't suitable for Factorio, since the start area really matters here. Just a crazy brainstorm. :P

Bazhosh1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bazhosh1 »

I also very much like this idea.
The map/minimap and radars should only be available after its researched and the map/minimap should only work, if you have at least one radar placed and supplied with elictricity.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

With some research and a bit of tweaking this could easily become the endgame "bunker" that is such a popular suggestion.

Research to unlock the zoom-in, then place ghosts, then blueprints, then high-level interaction that's currently not possible but should be (akin to upgrade planner, the ability to rotate and upgrade belts, inserters, assemblers, etc) then finally the ability to interact with GUIs from the map (but not their inventories obviously). In this way you could remotely ghost a setup for something and set the recipes without needing to be nearby, then you could even blueprint and copy it afterwards. Of course it would still depend on radar coverage but that's a simple thing to overcome.

With this you still need to physically go out to clear biters and maybe lay rails (can't see any good implementation otherwise) but no more tripping over all your pipes and running from one end of the factory to the other.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

I'm really sad that I can see my trains / etc without launching a satellite for gps.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”