Maximum capacity production

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Maximum capacity production

Post by vtx »

Be able to see maximum possible production of items. Right now we only see the production related to the consumption and there is no way to know "quickly and easily" how much we can expand production of an item without starving, before we reach that point.

Nich
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Maximum capacity production

Post by Nich »

Cant you temporally dump them into storage to seem maximum possible?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The good question is: What if you know that you can produce 1000 wire per second, if you never will be able to transport them?

The better question is: How useful is such a number, if you cannot say "I want to know maximum production in this area!"

If you can answer that question it would make this suggestion more useful.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fregate84 »

the suggestion looks good.
Most of the time, we try to do a factory who work a 100% capacity.
If we had the maximum production capacity , we can investigate why actual production is less than theorical capacity

TI-89
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TI-89 »

I think something like this could be very useful, though I'm not sure what form it should take. There's the method ssilk mentioned, with some sort of selector (kind of like deconstruction planner). My other thought was if production screen had some way to highlight things that are being consumed faster than they're being produced. This would help identify bottlenecks that are hidden due to buffering, without having to wait until production crashes.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

It cannot be calculated. You can only calculate what the machines can do with their current configuration. But that value is worthless as you dont know what can go in and out of the machine. And this is the actual capacity.
Or you provide examples.

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

The key word here is "possible", there still logistic transportation to take account but this suggestion is not about making easy that part of the game.

All also depend of gameplay you choose also. It's a sure bet for those who build on main-station factory style not so clear for people building multi-station factory style.

It's a clear plus for me when I think about primary items ( ore / plate / oils ). Knowing that my actual maximum possible of iron ore is 1000 items/s but using only 50% of them I'll know that I can safely expand furnace stations.

Right now as TI-89 said we have to check production panel to see overconsumption vs production to know the buffer is used and deal with it. There is a chance that we miss that chance to see that as once the buffer is used the value of consumption vs production will stabilize to consumption value.

Sure for some intermediate items as gear / wires as they are built on site ( at least in my case ), will not serve that same purpose to know that value on my whole base. ssilk suggest something very usefull for those intermediate items as an area check. I propose something similar for tooltip of assembly while hovering them items/sec

Something like production % bar in energy can do the trick. Maybe the modules (speed/productivity) as not every assembly working on same speed will make it harder to calculate that number.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”