Automatically deploy combat robots when near enemies

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Automatically deploy combat robots when near enemies

Post by mattj256 »

TL;DR: Combat robots in my inventory should be automatically deployed when I'm near enemies. I shouldn't have to click 100 times to launch 100 robots.

Original thread: create an entity that fits in armor slots to launch combat robots automatically.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42222
ssilk wrote:I click only once, until I have enough.
Wow, I just tested that and it works! I'm past 800 hours in this game. Am I the only one who didn't realize you could do that? Ssilk can you add that to the wish-list for the combat tutorial?

Anyways. It's still tedious (although not as tedious as I thought) to launch 100 combat robots.
ssilk wrote:How will you automate that, how many numbers should be released then if this is automated?
Here are a few options:
1. A separate GUI that allows you to specify combat robot deployment, then a hotkey to allow you to launch that configuration instantly. (Bonus points if you allow multiple configurations.)
2. Make a shortcut/hotkey to launch lots of robots at once. Control+left click could launch up to a full stack of robots and control+right click could launch up to half a stack of robots. (I'm saying "up to a full stack" instead of "a full stack" because you're still limited by your follower robot count research level.)
3. Shortcut/hotkey to launch up to ten more combat robots.

Now that the devs made the rail planner, IMHO the most tedious things in the game are launching lots of combat robots and laying long lines of transport belt or underground pipe. I hope this can be made easier to use.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Automatically deploy combat robots when near enemies

Post by Engimage »

I was suggesting a bit of a rework on combar drones here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35543

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

mattj256 wrote:
ssilk wrote:How will you automate that, how many numbers should be released then if this is automated?
Here are a few options:
1. A separate GUI that allows you to specify combat robot deployment, then a hotkey to allow you to launch that configuration instantly. (Bonus points if you allow multiple configurations.)
2. Make a shortcut/hotkey to launch lots of robots at once. Control+left click could launch up to a full stack of robots and control+right click could launch up to half a stack of robots. (I'm saying "up to a full stack" instead of "a full stack" because you're still limited by your follower robot count research level.)
I dunno. for me it depends to so many reasons if I launch 5, 15 or 100 robots, that I would not make that automateable. Press button until enough. The numbers of course are "crude", would be better to have 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 ... instead. But that is another suggestion.
Now that the devs made the rail planner, IMHO the most tedious things in the game are launching lots of combat robots and laying long lines of transport belt or underground pipe. I hope this can be made easier to use.
Transport/Pipes: Yes, and automatically lay underground belts. Also already suggested. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

ssilk wrote:
mattj256 wrote:
I dunno. for me it depends to so many reasons if I launch 5, 15 or 100 robots, that I would not make that automateable. Press button until enough. The numbers of course are "crude", would be better to have 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 ... instead. But that is another suggestion.
That is my suggestion #3. Pressing a modifier key launches robots five or ten at a time. You want me to make another thread for that? I don't want to spam the forum.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

They are already launched 5 at a time.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”