Cancelling/closing the personal crafting queue

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

markjn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cancelling/closing the personal crafting queue

Post by markjn »

When I build up a large queue, it is a pain to try to time the click correctly to start cancelling. You have to hit it perfectly. When you have the queue expanded, closing it is a pain.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cancelling/closing the personal crafting queue

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=10222 Improvement of crafting queue
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

markjn wrote:When I build up a large queue, it is a pain to try to time the click correctly to start cancelling. You have to hit it perfectly. When you have the queue expanded, closing it is a pain.
That's the issue, but what is your idea/suggestion to solve that?
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

What are you crafting when you build up big crafting queue? Have you previously played other games that had lot of crafting?

I am asking because handcrafting is intentionally little bit tedious, so players are more incentivized to use automation. In your case the game fails to do that so I am trying to get more context on your play-style :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I will answer this question also. :)

When I'm in the situation, that I want to change the crafting queue it in 70% so, that I craft inserters or belts or intermediates and now want to build some devices (miner, furnace, assembly, but especially seldom used stuff like refineries, oil plattform...)
And in the other 30% it is vice versa: I currently build one of those stuff that takes longer (refineries...) and just need now some inserters or belts.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

markjn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by markjn »

posila wrote:What are you crafting when you build up big crafting queue? Have you previously played other games that had lot of crafting?

I am asking because handcrafting is intentionally little bit tedious, so players are more incentivized to use automation. In your case the game fails to do that so I am trying to get more context on your play-style :)
Thanks for the reply. I love the game and have many many hours. I have launched a bunch of rockets. This usually only happens in the early game before I have many items automated. For example, I have the supplies to craft 150 inserters, but I only need 50. So I click the button 50 times, which makes the queue huge. Then I start laying belts, but I run out, so I go to craft more. I don't want to wait for the inserters to finish. So I click the expand queue up arrow button to see how much longer it will take. Everything item is moving so fast it is hard to cancel a specific thing. And the down arrow to close the expanded view is hard to click.

I'm not saying hand crafting should be faster or anything.

It's a really minor problem and only rarely annoys me. Later in the game I only rarely hand craft things, and even in the early game I only screw up my hand crafting queue once in a while. But maybe keep the close queue down arrow in a steady spot so players can click it easily. Maybe a cancel all button? I don't know the best way to improve it, I'll leave that to you guys; you've done a great job so far.

Thanks!

PS

If you take too long to write something in this forum, it logs you out, which is fine, but it doesn't save what you wrote after login.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

markjn wrote:I have the supplies to craft 150 inserters, but I only need 50. So I click the button 50 times, which makes the queue huge.
You can right-click on an item to craft 5 at once, they will group in the crafting queue and you only need to right-click 10 times.
You can also shift-click to craft all available items (e.g. 150 inserters), this will queue them all up in 1 job.

The same is true for cancelling a craft: right-click will remove 5 from the job and shift-click will completely cancel it.

Using these shortcuts will make the crafting queue shorter and it's easier to cancel specific jobs since they take 5 times as long.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”