Ctrl+click to add to front of craft queue

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Ctrl+click to add to front of craft queue

Post by Aru »

Beautiful idea that I just had. Like it says, ctrl+click to add an item to the beginning of the craft queue instead of to the end. Perhaps, the item that is currently mid-craft, be it an intermediate or a component of another assigned craft or one of a stack of queued items, it will finish only that one before returning to the front of the queue. The newly queued item should appear in front immediately, but the crafting animation should stay on the mid-craft item until it's current cycle finishes.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Ctrl+click to add to front of craft queue

Post by Tekky »

I agree with this suggestion. I find it annoying that I have to empty my entire crafting queue whenever I want to put something important to the start of the queue.

However, this idea has already been suggested numerous times. See this post for further information.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

Oops, well I tried to search it up, but I could not find it suggested elsewhere.

Also, all of that in the link looks somewhat complicated and involved. While I love having the option of lots of fine control customization, I think simply ctrl+clicking to add something to the front of the queue is a rather simple addition which would see a LOT of use by normal players. I tried to think of why such a thing isn't already in the game, and the issue of how it interacts with items already being crafted was all I could think of. And that's why I added the detail about finishing the current single instance out of the current stack of intermediates before returning to the front of the queue.

It looks like this is the only one in your link which is very similar to my suggestion. And it's from February 2014, yet still it hasn't been implemented! So, it's worthy of bringing back up. This really should be in the game.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

There also have been more recent threads on the same topic, such as this one from 10 months ago.

The fact that this suggestion is brought up so frequently does mean that it would be important to implement. As far as I can tell, it should also be rather easy to implement.

However, in my opinion, the crafting system has other issues as well, for example that it can be exploited to increase your inventory beyond its intended limit. Especially since Factorio now supports multiplayer and competitive multiplayer/PvP is getting more popular, I would consider it important to fix this exploit in some way.

Therefore, a complete overhaul of the hand crafting system might be appropriate.

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

I would very much like to see this as well. I know this has been suggested many times already, but it would be a huge boon a year ago, and it would be a huge boon right now.

Nothing complicated. No adjustable queues. No overhauled handcrafting. Just a simple ctrl-click to add to the front of the queue. A massive QoL improvement for so little work. Pretty please!
Obuw's Warfare - Combat improvements

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

obuw, my thoughts exactly. I thought through implementation details in my post, to make it as easy for them as I can without being able to change the code myself. It does not have to be complicated at all, just the very small, simple change. The real question is, why this is still not in the game? That's also the reason why it's still being posted. Because it would be a significant improvement to the interface without requiring a huge amount of effort, and yet it's still not here. Volume of posting similar suggestions should also help to emphasize how important it is.

redlabel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by redlabel »

Yes, I was thinking the same exact thing. In fact, since I am a noob, I thought there was probably a key macro to do exactly that..

But since there's not, yes, definitely support the idea!

It could also be cool to be able to add a research to the queue so it automatically starts when the current one is over..
✧COMFY FACTORIO✧ - Home of Biter Battles, Fish Defense, Chronotrain.. And More!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=10222 Improvement of crafting queue
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”