Renaming Trash Slots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Syrchalis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Renaming Trash Slots

Post by Syrchalis »

Another one of these, yes, I'm sorry.

However, I am concerned or was concerned with the clarity of "trash slots" since I started using the logistics network. Due to tutorials I knew what they did but otherwise I would have been afraid of my items getting destroyed. While trash doesn't refer to destruction in the real world, it does in games. Remember all these games and editors using a trash can for the delete button? Yes, and that's why I think this is not very clear in this game.

People have learned to associate trash with delete.

We have a clear and good system with the logistic network chests that most (not all obviously, as recent threads show) feel is pretty good. So why not name trash slots "provider slots" (or provision slots) and along with this change rename logistic slots to "request slots".

I have often used the trash slots as actual provider slots and not just as storage slots. If for example I build a blueprint containing a roboport I provide that roboport via the "trash slots".

It would streamline things and make the symmetry between these slots and the corresponding chests clear. It will probably help a lot of people understanding the logistic chest system as well.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Renaming Trash Slots

Post by DaveMcW »

I totally disagree.

People who can read English have a general idea what happens when you put something in a "trash slot". But "active provider" means nothing in English.

If anything, they should rename the chests.

Koltrast
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Koltrast »

first time i saw it, I thought it was a slot to disassemble items I don't needed.

I totally agree.

Syrchalis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Syrchalis »

DaveMcW wrote:I totally disagree.

People who can read English have a general idea what happens when you put something in a "trash slot". But "active provider" means nothing in English.

If anything, they should rename the chests.
You made your point clear in your thread about the active provider chests, but evidently many people disagree. You can't just disregard that the association trash = delete is used EVERYWHERE in the gaming, office and editor world. So is trash misleading by the definition of trash? No. Is it misleading because of what people have learned and gotten used to? Absolutely yes.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”