Suggestion: stop construction bots from entering combat

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

faeriedust
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Suggestion: stop construction bots from entering combat

Post by faeriedust »

I'm annoyed that my construction bots run into battle to repair stuff and die, so here is my proposal:

Make construction bots ignore anything that's taken damage in the last x seconds.

It could be configureable/turnoffable or even require a technology, but I think it would be incredibly helpful.. This way for instance, i wouldnt have to take my personal roboport off everytime im worried i might get attacked, etc, because they will wait until the damage stops before trying to repair it...

I don't think the purpose of the construction bot was intended to be as distractor bots, so I think this change would make them more in line with what they are intended for, which is making/repairing things. lol

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Suggestion: stop construction bots from entering combat

Post by ssilk »

Could not be said like so: tank and construction bots in power suit is a very strong combination.

In my opinion the game should make it just more clear that you need to look about the bots and make your perimeter wide enough.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

faeriedust
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by faeriedust »

After playing the save I was having trouble with a while longer, I definitely agree, construction bots can be pretty strong in combat situation.

I still think smoother ability to protect your bots would be very helpful.. for instance, my railways are not safe, so i have to always remove personal roboport before getting on a train or i lose 2 to 3 bots per trip, and i forget to do so.. So ability to just turn them OFF temporarily without changing your armor setup would be pretty awesome.

I suppose upgrading bot speed further would help with this.. but I set resources pretty low and ended up with only 3 oil wells in a LARGE area.. so i can't exactly afford every little upgrade, and I don't think i should need it when I could just turn them off, lol. :(

Also tank with bots in power suit sounds terrible combo no? Energy shield is much stronger than bots repairing each other from what i can tell. lol. I guess i have to try it to see.

TI-89
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TI-89 »

Their behavior is very powerful, but does have some annoying quirks that I'm not totally sure how to improve. For example if I am using flamethrower I don't want bots to come out and catch fire because then they try to repair each other and all get hurt. Ability to toggle power armor items would be nice though. Exoskeletons could use this feature as well, mostly with mods where you get absurdly fast. It's not really a big problem in vanilla unless you go pure exoskeleton in power armor.

Nich
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nich »

I am going to disagree laser turrets are more important the bots. I have had a couple fights where I would have died had bots not repaired the turrets and sacrificed them selves for the cause. Also if something is damaged I never want to have to wait for it to repair.

At a certain point you can just get 2 power suits. It would be nice to be able to swap them like weapons

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

faeriedust wrote:I'm annoyed that my construction bots run into battle to repair stuff and die, so here is my proposal:

Make construction bots ignore anything that's taken damage in the last x seconds.

It could be configureable/turnoffable or even require a technology, but I think it would be incredibly helpful.. This way for instance, i wouldnt have to take my personal roboport off everytime im worried i might get attacked, etc, because they will wait until the damage stops before trying to repair it...

I don't think the purpose of the construction bot was intended to be as distractor bots, so I think this change would make them more in line with what they are intended for, which is making/repairing things. lol
No.

Don't bring robots with you into combat if you don't want them to be used in combat.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”