Gun Turrets that can request Ammo

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ShiftyOgre
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Gun Turrets that can request Ammo

Post by ShiftyOgre »

Exposition
I've now blueprinted and built so many chains of turrets with inserters and requester chests. It's pretty much my go to defense but I still think it looks silly. So I'd like to purpose an additional research option for Gun Turrets that allows them to have a built-in requester chest for ammo.

What?
A high-tech turret that can request ammo from the logistics network.

Why?
I think it it would simplify the effort that goes into setting up a defense around the base and look cooler doing it; all those inserter arms between turrets has always seemed strange, especially after I've unlocked logistics robots. Additionally I think being able to request one or more type of ammo could open the development potential for turrets that shoot more than just bullets, perhaps they could also shoot rockets or lob grenades and having the ability to request ammo would make it all the better.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Gun Turrets that can request Ammo

Post by Rseding91 »

ShiftyOgre wrote:I've now blueprinted and built so many chains of turrets with inserters and requester chests.
Because this exists we're probably never going to add anything else. "Taking something you can already do with 3-4 pieces and making it possible to do with zero pieces" is a recipe for making a boring game.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

ShiftyOgre wrote:I've now blueprinted and built so many chains of turrets with inserters and requester chests.
One burner inserter, one turret and one requester storage, now you can build it without electricity.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Or as I do it many times: belt with one side coal/wood the other side magazones, and then burner inserter for feed.

The issue in that case is, that it is too easy to produce too much magazines and what to do with the magazines then -> Recylcer would be useful for that case. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

This is where requester turret could be useful. You could define how much ammo to load. I find sometimes the 10 ammo gets used and then burner inserters seem a little bit too slow to refill the ammo in some cases.
Alternatively, would it be possible by other means for the turret to get more than 10 ammo from an inserter?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Well with stack bonus you will inevitably end up with slightly more but no, it's not designed to work like that. If you want the burner inserter option you might need two per turret. As you're powering nearby Roboports regardless (to repair the walls if nothing else) I'd just use power poles and Fast Inserters.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”