adding just a little more realism

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bunce
Inserter
Inserter

adding just a little more realism

Post by bunce »

Hi guys,

I have been reading and searching through the forum, fantastic ideas!

I've always been curious why carbon fiber isnt in the game? It seems like a no brainer to me. I know you are going to yell PLASTIC or LDS! But what im talking about is adding CF as additional item, and using it for flying robots, space and satelites.

Anyway id like to know the reason why it hasnt been used yet.

same with Aluminium.

Thanks

bunce.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: adding just a little more realism

Post by IronCartographer »

In a word: Minimalism.

A game with crafting can be as complex or as simple as can be imagined. Adding more materials can add more complexity/scale along with "realism," but unless it adds more game mechanics, more diversity in resources contributes very little value to player engagement.

Factorio vanilla: Bare minimum of resources to support a critical threshold of complexity for satisfying game mechanics to be built on top of them while maintaining immersion.

Mods: Choose your poison, and enjoy the headache. They're not for everyone. ;)

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

There's also the argument that the engineer isn't going directly for efficiency, he doesn't really have any reason to make bots that weigh 100g. As long as it works, he can keep adding more as the story is he landed on a planet rich in raw resources, and there's no competition for them.

Do you remember when you first played, how complicated everything seemed? That's about the level it needs to be for new players, any more and it's too great a barrier for entry, any less and it becomes boring too quickly.

If you want to know what I mean, try Bob's Mods. See how long it takes you, even with your experience, to finish a game =P
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Do you remember when you first played, how complicated everything seemed? That's about the level it needs to be for new players, any more and it's too great a barrier for entry, any less and it becomes boring too quickly.

If you want to know what I mean, try Bob's Mods. See how long it takes you, even with your experience, to finish a game =P
The base game, if you take away trains and circuit network, because you strictly don't need them, is incredibly simple. It's pretty clear that the devs are making effort to ensure that everyone can play the game without getting stuck on the way to the rocket.
And that's fine, because there are a lot of processes you can optimise, when you, for example, look at crafting times and assembler ratios, boiler and steam machine ratios, etc.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

The premise is simple, you have items, a few means of moving these items around, and machines that do things with these items.

However there's a LOT of recipes to familiarise yourself with even in just vanilla, as well as how to progress, what to automate or research next, etc. I remember automating tier 2 science in the tutorial/campaign and thinking holy crap that was complicated, and I've got two more levels to do! Of course I didn't really know that alien science is as simple as it is, but overall science is changing to something muuuch more complex =D

And yeah the base game is as complex as you make it. I've got two current vanilla games I'm playing multiplayer with different people, one is aimed at 20 million Electronic Circuits, the other we are going to launch a rocket without placing a single belt. In the former I am going to need some serious planning, and in the latter I expect to learn quite a lot about logistics and distribution, as well as hopefully making an extremely compact factory.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Gertibrumm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gertibrumm »

IronCartographer wrote:In a word: Minimalism.

A game with crafting can be as complex or as simple as can be imagined. Adding more materials can add more complexity/scale along with "realism," but unless it adds more game mechanics, more diversity in resources contributes very little value to player engagement.

Factorio vanilla: Bare minimum of resources to support a critical threshold of complexity for satisfying game mechanics to be built on top of them while maintaining immersion.

Mods: Choose your poison, and enjoy the headache. They're not for everyone. ;)
Yet devs insist on centrifuges??? They add absolutely no gameplay content and should be replaced by assemblers.

Devs dropped closed water systems, the argument for realism and gameplay benefit was too small compared to their weird dual pipe system the want to use to make the boiler layouts the only challenge about nuclear energy (I think it is a big joke)

What would we need? Heat-exchangers (and evaporators).
What did we get? weird heat pipes that are an end in itself and a not realistic system that is just dull and doesnt match any devises ("simple parts for many functions")

Personally I lost my believe in many approaches the devs have gameplay wise, but it is not my game, it is ours

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=189 New Types of Resources (Gold and Diamond...) / New Ores
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”