Prevent accidentally ALT-toggling "show info"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

thuejk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Prevent accidentally ALT-toggling "show info"

Post by thuejk »

Per default, the "show info" toggle is bound to ALT in the control settings. However, this means that every time you ALT-TAB out of a game, which is a very common thing to do when e.g. simultaneously consulting the Wiki, "show info" in unintentionally toggled.

This seems very suboptimal to me. The keyboard is full of keys, why not pick one which will not do unintentional double duty? I have personally rebound it to TAB, but I think the default should be changed.

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Prevent accidentally ALT-toggling "show info"

Post by Xeanoa »

Never noticed this issue because I always click out of the game window, and never Alt+Tab. Those who do can easily change the keybinding while optimising them to their own preferences, so I don't see much need to change the default. Neither would I mind if it did, though.

I would like to see some different change instead. I always play with 'show info' on by default, and only occasionally turn it off if I need to see something that's hidden by the information overlay.
I assume most players have one default that's always on, and only briefly switch to the alternate view occasionally. Therefore, I would like to see one key (e.g. Tab as proposed by the OP) as a toggle, and the alt-key change into a hold-to-show/hide.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

First thing I do is change -change weapon- to tab, and -detailed info- to F1 and all is right in the world after that.

thuejk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thuejk »

Nexela wrote:First thing I do is change -change weapon- to tab, and -detailed info- to F1 and all is right in the world after that.
Yeah, having q do double-duty as change weapon is horrible design. You press q all the time; do it once too many by accident, and the next time you defend against biters you use your flamethrower instead of submachine gun, and burn down half your base.

F1 would be a fine key for detailed info. You generally only need to hit it once per game, so it doesn't need to be reachable from the wasd home position.

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

Nexela wrote:First thing I do is change -change weapon- to tab, and -detailed info- to F1 and all is right in the world after that.
I hate having rotate and research beside each other. So often I messed up a belt because I hit R instead of T. So Rotate moved to Q, Research to R, and drop item in hand/change weapon to Mouse 4.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I've got open inventory and rotate on my mouse, tab to change weapon, R for research, E to enter vehicle, left Q and Alt as-is. I also remapped the floor painter size to Ctrl+Mousewheel.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I have to say, I hate Q as toggle weapon too. press it so many times, then when you go to shoot something, it's like... what the heck am I shooting with that for?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

bobingabout wrote:I have to say, I hate Q as toggle weapon too. press it so many times, then when you go to shoot something, it's like... what the heck am I shooting with that for?
Tab is the default key for 'switch-weapon' in 0.15 (won't affect current configs)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Klonan wrote:Tab is the default key for 'switch-weapon' in 0.15 (won't affect current configs)

Luckily we can change that in the configs....
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”