Item stand

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Item stand

Post by DanGio »

Hi !

Don't you think, that we could have some use of an item that displays another item, in large scale ? The concept is similar to the Minecraft "Item frame", and has only decoration purpose. I don't know what it should look like, to fit the theme the most. A wooden panel ? A glass dome ? errr...no. A blinking screen ? Anyway, you place this object, you put one item or more inside, and it displays the inserted item(s).

This is already doable with wooden crates e.g., but only in Alt-view, and at small scale. The "Item stand" could have a 2*2 (maybe 3*3) size, and display a large picture, Alt-view or not. This would be helpful to understand your own factory (after 1 week without playing Factorio, I'm always like "wait... what's that for ? what did I wanted to do ?"), to give a visual landmark to a railway station or a bunch of assemblers... Multiplayer games would also use it a lot, I think.

I'm not sure of this : do you choose the item from GUI or put in inside ?
If you choose it, there's no "haha see what i've got" use in multiplayer.
If you put in it, you can't display liquids...

Cheers !
Last edited by DanGio on Sat May 31, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Item stand

Post by Garm »

why?

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Is that really necessary for a game like Factorio? What do you want to show off?

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

As I said, the main idea is to give a visual identity to a group of assembling machines, or a railway station.

For example, if you build an drilling outpost, connected by rail, which shall only supply the ammo fabrication, you put a "sign" or "stand" next to it, which displays a shotgun shell. It would also help, I think, to clarify some complicated setups.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Would be more viable as something else:

signpost where player can write stuff

specific statue similar to terraria ones.

MC frames are a poor choice IMHO

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Don't you think that a picture would be more efficient ? Although, a sign panel seems nice, but I didn't mention it, because I can't imagine it to be readable without the need of a popup when clicking on it.

If the picture is a statue, it's ok too, but doesn't it involves a lot of new objects ? I said MC frame for the concept, not the look of it.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

i would like a kind of map beacon, you place it and put 1-4 items in it and it displays those on the map(similar image style to BP's)
small usage of power and it acts like a GPS tag, and if you go to the map and mouse over it could have some display txt that you can choose (i.e "Primary Mine" with some iron ore for the image)

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Great idea, if you're ok, I will re-think the whole thing, and put this into the first, edited, post. It seems anyway that my point wasn't clear at the beginning.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”