X amount to craft

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Sparkysam
Inserter
Inserter

X amount to craft

Post by Sparkysam »

I don't know if this has been suggested yet but adding a feature where you do a certain key bind or binds like e.g shift + right click and a pop up comes up asking you how many you'd like to craft instead of either crafting all or crafting 5.

this is a feature I know a lot of people would love to see.

thanks.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: X amount to craft

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

It's not often but occasionally I might want to craft something like 275 Iron Gear Wheels. If I've got thousands of Iron in my inventory the fastest way to do that is 55 right clicks (RSI incoming) which is pretty bad. Also if I lose count I'm kinda screwed.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Sparkysam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sparkysam »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:It's not often but occasionally I might want to craft something like 275 Iron Gear Wheels. If I've got thousands of Iron in my inventory the fastest way to do that is 55 right clicks (RSI incoming) which are pretty bad. Also if I lose count I'm kinda screwed.
exactly my problem, i have a temp solution with my mechanical keyboard which has an auto clicker but a feature that added x amount would be the better solution for this.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:It's not often but occasionally I might want to craft something like 275 Iron Gear Wheels. If I've got thousands of Iron in my inventory the fastest way to do that is 55 right clicks (RSI incoming) which is pretty bad. Also if I lose count I'm kinda screwed.
  • Craft chest
  • place chest
  • put all iron plates into chest
  • pull 6 stacks if iron plate into inventory
  • put half stack back into chest
  • craft max iron gear wheels
14 clicks by my count. ;)

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

If i want to create that amount, i place a assembler and put lots of iron in it. Just place it in a wild spot and come back when its done. This has so many advantages.

But you can run almost the entire factory handcrafting if you want.

Sparkysam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sparkysam »

aober93 wrote:If i want to create that amount, i place a assembler and put lots of iron in it. Just place it in a wild spot and come back when its done. This has so many advantages.

But you can run almost the entire factory handcrafting if you want.
yes but what i am out in the wild with no power and i need to craft things to make power??

zetacon4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zetacon4 »

Some of you that have posted on this thread haven't given any thought to why the player might need to specify a crafting amount in hand.
Please stop and consider the possibilities. I also want a way to enter manually, the quantity I wish to craft rather than the current shift and right-click options.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

I find that *most* of the time that I want to specify some reasonably large amount of items to craft is when I am crafting something that does not need to have it's own production setup, such as stone furnaces, boilers, steel furnaces, etc.

Steel furnaces is probably a universal one. You need enough that it's a pain to count how many times you have clicked, but it's too much of a pain to create a production chain for it when you are going to move onto electric furnaces and shoot the steel furnaces.

Another occasion is when you have placed a blueprint and you see that it's missing 33 pipe or 58 inserters. They don't take long to hand craft, but counting them out is a pain. This usually happens when I am out setting up an outpost. What's easier? running back to base to get more, putting down an assembler to craft them, or just wait the 30 seconds it takes to hand craft?

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

I suggest a slider on top of your crafting UI similar to the one for the logistic requests that lets you set right click amount. Easy to implement, intuitive, and effective.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

zetacon4 wrote:Some of you that have posted on this thread haven't given any thought to why the player might need to specify a crafting amount in hand.
Please stop and consider the possibilities. I also want a way to enter manually, the quantity I wish to craft rather than the current shift and right-click options.
Considering that factorio attracts people with a degree of perfectionism and associated disorders, this needs consideration regardless the posibilities. But im no dev. I just proposed a way to play. You know just that this isnt too one sided.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”