1x2, 2x2, 3x2 or 6x2 tiles large (smart) chests

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

1x2, 2x2, 3x2 or 6x2 tiles large (smart) chests

Post by mrvn »

When 2 train stations need to exchange goods, like in a depo, there is no good way to use chests to bridge the gaps between two trains. Railroads always have a even number of tiles separation and chests + inserters always bridge an odd number of tiles. I'm ignoring long inserters here since they can only be used on the rail cars them self to get an even number of tiles bridged and one really wants stack inserters there.

On the other hand automobiles are 2x2 tiles large and have a trunk that can be put to good use here. Load from a train into the cars trunk with stack inserters and from the cars trunk into another train again using stack inserters. The cars trunk also has the nice feature that the stacks can be filtered to accept only specific items. Ideal for stations with mixed goods. But what does a stationary object need an engine for? It's a rather odd use for an automobile. And you can't connect an automobile to the circuit network.

So my suggestion is this:

Create a new type of chest with the following properties:

1) a larger size of 1x2, 2x2, 3x2 or 6x2 tiles (also possible: 3x4, 6x4 or 6x6)
2) filter capabilities for the stacks like a train car or automobile trunk has
3) connectable to the circuit network (read content back to the network)
4) As an advanced feature it could have a "set filter" function for the circuit network.When activated the chest would only allow in an items when it contains less than the amount signaled for the given item.

The chest could require steel and electronic circuits (for the filtering part) to build.

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: 1x2, 2x2, 3x2 or 6x2 tiles large (smart) chests

Post by RoddyVR »

+1.
I'd say 1*2 would be best. anything larger would need to be in addition to the 1*2 size (cause otherwist you're restricting it to wide space for no reason), and wouldnt server a purpose thta a 1*2 plus a few regurar chests couldnt solve.

good building blocks are better than ready sollutions.

another way to solve this problem would be to have a semilong hand inserter. takes from 1 away, puts 2 away (or vice verse... dont matter).

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Hello,
One solution could be that logistic chests get a "connect" tickbox, which, if selected, connects the chest to another of same type (requester doesn't connect with storage
etc...).
Connected chests share the same, 2x larger, inventory, and get a small visual connection like walls or pipes.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

What gameplay value would adding this give? Additionally why would you need these over the current 1x1 containers that already provide logistics and or circuit connection possibilities.

The 2 main points of the game are logistics and automation and adding in new super-smart container types removes a large portion of that first "logistics" bit.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Rseding91 wrote:What gameplay value would adding this give? Additionally why would you need these over the current 1x1 containers that already provide logistics and or circuit connection possibilities.

The 2 main points of the game are logistics and automation and adding in new super-smart container types removes a large portion of that first "logistics" bit.
Main point as explained above: They would fit between two rail lines.

I like the idea of joining boxes. I think the same idea was shown for nuclear reactor. The benefit of joining boxes would be that they have more spots for inserters, specifically with stack filter inserters this is a huge benefit. I've used cars and train cars as sorting chest. Dump stuff in there and then take it out with filter inserters onto separate belts.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

IMHO this is wrong thinking: "We need something to exchange goods from one station to another". :)

It's thought a bit too simple in my eyes.
The "right way" to do this (in my eyes) is to have train tracks, that fit on uneven tiles. See viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19953 - that would also add much more game-value.

And it's not on me to score gameplay of other players, but
- It's not needed. Bots will do this job perfectly fast. Less than 30 bots can do that...
- It's questionable what kind of gameplay this should be, where this is really needed (exchange goods between two rail-lines). :)
- Why exchange the goods from one train to another? Not continue the travel? Makes no sense: You are so far with the train and instead that the train continues, you stop and load it to another train. It makes not so much sense to me - I even don't see, why this would make much fun. :)

But don't care too much about this comment. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

I use a train-to-train setup for my fuel train (the train that takes coal to all the stops for train refueling). As the main coal stop is right in the middle of my base next to the steam engines I can't use bots because I can't make an isolated network, and even if I could, its overkill to use up that amount of airspace to move 10 coal a minute. Instead I have to use a series of length 2 belts to act as a 2x1 chest. Throughput is not much, but as I said, it doesn't need to be.
ssilk wrote:The "right way" to do this (in my eyes) is to have train tracks, that fit on uneven tiles. See viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19953 - that would also add much more game-value.
Putting the train tracks on every square has it's own problems, not to mention that the developers must have consciously decided to make it have that behaviour as there is nothing else like it. Filtered long-hand inserters would be a better fit for the OP's issue.

As for train-to-train stations - why would you use them? They have many benefits. You can use them as sorting areas for mixed products, you can use them to keep your stackers well away from your main base, it decreases UPS that the train path finding uses, you can ensure that every trail always has a stop to sit at, you use them in staging areas for many small mines, consolidating the mostly empty trains into one full train, etc. Making a map of stop-to-stop only transfers (no communal lines) also gives an interesting challenge.

IMO: Stop-to-stop transfers need a more elegant solution than the ones currently available as they tend to make them harder than they should be. Although I have to say, 1x2 chests are probably not the solution.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”