Allow train stops to be placed on 1x1 grid

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Allow train stops to be placed on 1x1 grid

Post by SupplyDepoo »

Please allow train stops to be placed in 1-tile increments along track, like signals, instead of only every other tile.

It would solve the following problems:
  1. Bidirectional train stops, using two train stops, where trains can come from either side and load or unload using the same belt mechanism. This currently only works if the trains have an odd number of cargo wagons and locomotives, since an even number results in an odd total train length (e.g. 4 wagons/locomotives: 4 * 6 (wagon length) + 3 (gaps) = 27), which means that opposing train stops don't match up, and only 5 of 6 inserters are able to load/unload each cargo wagon.
  2. Train-to-train loaders, where inserters unload from one train and directly load into another train parallel to it. This only works if your trains are arriving in the same direction and you want to load/unload only the first X wagons, assuming they both have the same number of locomotives, or both trains have an odd number of cargo wagons and locomotives.
  3. If you've built a train stop for even-numbered trains and later want to change the direction that trains come in, you have to move the whole loading/unloading mechanism.
In short, trains with an even number of cargo wagons and locomotives (e.g. loco-cargo, or loco-cargo-cargo-loco) are at a disadvantage. It's bad to have even-numbered trains if you want to do any of the aforementioned things, as it means either losing efficiency or having to add redundancy via additional inserters and using substations to provide power.

Changing the placement mode of train stops to allow 1-tile precision, like signals, while maintaining their 2x2 size, would seem like an easy solution, at the cost of only slightly more visual clutter when placing train stops (which we're already used to from placing signals).
Attachments
even-numbered-trains-stop.png
even-numbered-trains-stop.png (2.15 MiB) Viewed 3512 times

Der Ruinenbaumeister
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Allow train stops to be placed on 1x1 grid

Post by Der Ruinenbaumeister »

I second that. I often use double headed trains consisting of two locomotives and two cargo wagons. For my supply train, I place one inserter for every type of cargo (ammunition, repair kits etc.) at the loading station. When I want to load up to 24 different kinds of cargo, I cannot use bidirectional stops as they only allow ten inserters per car.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

+1

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19953 New types of rails (curves, s-curves ...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

I would also like this!

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leoch »

+1, assuming you also mean to rails.

I've had to rebuild a whole station blueprint because it didn't tile correctly due to the rail position.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”