Locomotive thoughts

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrblob197
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Locomotive thoughts

Post by mrblob197 »

Removed the Post as it's a repost.

Comment to this from moderator ßilk: That post was about why diesel locomotives don't use diesel. The user then deleted his original message and reported his post to delete it.

Answer to the request of deleting the post:
We do not delete posts without good reasons, especially in this case it is not useful, cause there have already been answers and an interesting side-discussion.
And the second reason is, that in the suggestions board it is a sign for the developers (and moderators), if there are a lot similar and independent suggestions related to one subject.

The moderators doesn't await, that users search the forum, before posting. But they make comments to posts in the suggestion board if there are such similar threads, but that is only meant to be helpful! Sometimes a moderator makes more "colorful" responses. That is also meant to be helpful and if he points to other threads he doesn't mean this one is wrong or so.

Perhaps the moderator was just a bit angry, cause he is eventually ill and cannot do much in bed. :)
Last edited by mrblob197 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Locomotive thoughts

Post by ssilk »

One of those cases, where search is quite useful: search.php?keywords=Diesel+Locomotive+coal&fid%5B0%5D=6

:)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

I explain time and time again that you can make a diesel engine that burns coal.

Prior to diesel fuel becoming a thing, diesel engines were built using a variety of different fuels.

Among them, coal dust.

Some of the early diesel engines used coal dust with airblast injection to achieve a running and powerful engine. The process fell out of favor though when diesel oil became available though, because the ash from the coal would form a grit that damages the running components of the engine.

Of course I really would like to see steam locomotives in Factorio myself, and just recently a mod was introduced that adds a nuclear-electric locomotive.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Do you know that the diesel engine runs also with old wooden poles? Or wooden chests? :) Or rocket-fuel? :D

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

ssilk wrote:Do you know that the diesel engine runs also with old wooden poles? Or wooden chests? :) Or rocket-fuel? :D
Grind it into a powder and anything that has an auto-ignition temperature within reach of the diesel engine's compression can ignite and consume it.

Interstingly enough, diesels with airblast injection were much smoother and quieter than today's solid injection diesels. This injection scheme gave a much finer mist and a better spray pattern, but had a longer duration. The result was a cleaner but longer-lasting burn, reducing much of the clatter and noise.

Unfortunately airblast injection could not handle higher RPM operation, and so it gave way to today's pressure injection systems.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Off-topic.
Yes, and with the VW scandals around the cheating diesels (and all the other cheaters that are now revealed) I know I was right, with what I said years over years. I said: What I smell when I bike behind a gasonline car is much more clean than what I smell behind a diesel car.

Yes, I smelled that. And I think everybody can smell that. No need to measure obvious things.
But everybody said: No, the truth is, that diesel is much more green. I said: But it must be wrong, I smell it different.
And now I proved to be right: Green diesel-motors is a myth. And my nose is a hero. ;)

What brings me to this thought: In 10 years or so nobody will think back to the times, when mankind drove around with explosion motors. Yes, for really big machines explosion motors are still important. For such really big machines (like in ships) you can use other techniques like blowing in carbon or cleaning the exhaust much, much better.
For the current individual traffic this isn't the case. Electric drive (based on accumulators and/or fuel-cells) is the only alternative. Especially in the cities.

BTW: Why by the hell we don't have fuel-cells in game? It would be cool, I remember a suggestion I've made here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13023 Storing energy as hydrogen (and oxygen) / Cool it down to store energy

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”