Make trains pull Coal from adjacent carriages if possible

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Lord_lammington
Inserter
Inserter

Make trains pull Coal from adjacent carriages if possible

Post by Lord_lammington »

The title says all as an automatic refuelling trains on long journeys can be hard , with the addition of this feature , trains can access the coal stored and an adjacent carriage to fuel their engines , this only works on the car directly attached to the train and can be enabled/disabled through an option.
This option would not only help benefit people with resources far away but also people who want to use a certain train for long periods of time without having to re fuel (transporting things around a factory)

Tl;DR : Trains pull fuel from directly attached carriages when need be

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Make trains pull Coal from adjacent carriages if possible

Post by ssilk »

Sorry, I never needed such a feature, cause a train can travel about 30 kilometers without reloading coal.
--> This is something, which a mod can do much better.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

If 3 full stacks of coal doesn't get you far enough... consider fuel blocks, they last much longer.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Melfish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Melfish »

Would it be possible trough modding to limit the amount (the stack size preferably) of the fuel in the train?
Because this mechanic sounds to me like a more fun one than the current one where the locomotive itself has enough fuel for 15 min of driving between stations.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

Its fairly trivial to reserve slots in one of the train cars to have the train store a supply of coal for use down the road. Then at a distance where you know it is getting low, have it pull into a siding where it can transfer coal from the car up to the locomotive before proceeding.

Usually these refuelling stops also make good forward bases, and are almost always close enough to resources to make them into full fledged resource outposts.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Of course the trains could be simply modded.

To be honest: The current fuel usage is ridiculous low. Compared to the energy usage of the rest. :)

But I never found a useful or nice game in paying much attention into fueling the trains. In fact it's a bit boring, after you get used to how to do the stuff. On the other hand: Once your fuel is going low and the trains are not longer refueled enough and you get a pretty big train-jam cause 30 or more dry running trains, that was interesting, but nobody would like to have something like this more than once in a month.

In the end I found the smart-trains mod and I really liked much how it sends the trains to the Refuel-stops itself. That is much more useful and interesting, cause it adds new kinds of logistic quests.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”