Here is my list of thoughts about the game. Overall I have to say this game is awesome, and I bacically only complain about the controls. Since the game is still fresh to me I am not too used to some inconveniences that you don't see them anymore if you played it for too long.
It took me a while until I learned how it all works. Some things are closed with E others with Q. It feels like it is something that evolved over time and did not get too much attention in the beginning. I haven't done this for you yet, but it would be worth thinking about. Do some newbe user tests and watch how they react to the controls.
- First I would like you to use scancodes for keys instead of keycodes. Because then I do not need to remap all keys for my layout. I have a rather exotic one (comparable to Dvorak), but even for e.g: AZERTY it would already be very helpful.
- When I want to place a building and my mouse is already at the correct position I notice that I am too far away. Then I come closer, but the position has moved. So here I would prefer to have the mouse fixed to the ground while building. On the other hand with belts and walls, I prefer to just hold and move.
- This one is pretty personal I think, but I would like to have a mouse only mode. So moving around with the mouse and stuff like that. I know with mouse and keyboard I can do stuff faster, but this game is more about doing it right instead of fast and playing with only one hand at the computer lets me lean back while playing it. That much more comfortable. Same goes for Gamepad support. Would love to see that.
- Inventory management is uncool. They look like they are copied from Mincraft without thinking about weather it is a good idea to do it the same way or not. Every sorted list with weights/sizes as Inventory would work better than stacking to "insert any power of two". It is really annoying that having many different kinds of items significantly reduces your inventory size. even having damaged towers, can explode the space consumption of items. A list like the details view in a file manager can also give you more info about items easily
- Quickbar management is uncool. Here again it seems like it is just copied from Minecraft. A quickbar is something I want to design by myself with items I use most often, or is given and fixed by the designer of the game like in Half-Life. But every time an item goes out and I pick up something else my quickbar is changed. I don't want anything to change my quickbar automatically, I don't want any icon to get in or out of my quickbar automatically. After some time my quickbar has only items that I do not use at all (I picked them up and they went there without asking me), and stuff I use is not there anymore, because it tends to run out from time to time and then it's place becomes occupied my some unused or rarly used items. What I really want is a quickbar that is not just more inventory items, but some some constant hotkey bindings that let me quickly access my inventory. I want my quickbar to tell me the true amount of items I have of that type in my inventory, including 0 and not limited to the stacking size
- you should remove the metal slug explosion from your game.
- LOD would be nice, so that you can zoom out even more. Maybe some icon graphics on a more distant zoom level, Like in Age of Wonders 3, or Battle Worlds Chronos
- A pickaxe animation for chopping down a tree?