Erase-All/Replace-All via Blueprint Editor

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Erase-All/Replace-All via Blueprint Editor

Post by Mehve »

I couldn't find this mentioned, but like most suggestions, it's probably been mentioned somewhere before. Probably countless times, in fact. Sorry in advance.

The first option that would be nice would be an Erase-All in the blueprint editor.

As I envision such a thing, you would be able to simply right-click on an item at the bottom of the blueprint where it lists the component totals, and have ALL instances of the item in the blueprint be greyed-out. We can already do this to individual components, this would simply streamline the process. Useful cases include: miscellaneous items like lights, and rail components that would otherwise force the blueprint to adhere to the 2x2 rail grid. Likewise, perhaps you ONLY want a rail or belt design, without all the peripherals, so this would let you quickly delete everything else. It would also have uses in large blueprints like this.
Go Ahead, TRY to Find All 22 Lights...
The second option that would be nice to be have, is a Replace-All in the blueprint editor.

Things like assemblers, containers, belt components, and inserters, already have the ability to be directly overwritten in-game, this would simply make it possible to do so in the blueprint. For simplicity, it could be restricted to stuff in the hotbar, since the current game already allows you to interact with the hotbar while the blueprint editor is open. As an example below, a totally epic train loader. Except, maybe you want a different belt tier, or maybe you want wooden boxes instead of steel, and maybe you want cheaper inserters... It would be nice to be able to simply drag the desired component (from your hotbar, perhaps?) and release it over the original, and replace all instances of that item within the blueprint.
Perfection. Except For Everything in it.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Erase-All/Replace-All via Blueprint Editor

Post by BenSeidel »

Not saying that it would not be a good feature, but in the meantime try
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/NearlyDu ... on-planner and https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/upgrade-planner
It takes some extra steps: You have to place the blueprint and then recapture it.
and some issues: Both mods don't really work well with ghost entities either, so the plan has to be completely built.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes. Both mods are in my opinion very useful, a must-have and should be added to vanilla as a combination of both plus much more usability (see this thread and the linked others) into a completely new tool.

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17948 Filters on (De)construction Planner

@Mehve: I'm not sure, if that hits your need exactly or if your aspect for this suggestion is going more into the direction of "directly editing blueprints". Maybe you can make that more clear... :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

ssilk wrote:Yes. Both mods are in my opinion very useful, a must-have and should be added to vanilla as a combination of both plus much more usability (see this thread and the linked others) into a completely new tool.

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17948 Filters on (De)construction Planner

@Mehve: I'm not sure, if that hits your need exactly or if your aspect for this suggestion is going more into the direction of "directly editing blueprints". Maybe you can make that more clear... :)
More the latter, I'd say. The first suggestion could technically fall under the classification of "Filtered Blueprinting", I suppose. Currently, if your blueprint target is surrounded by other unwanted stuff, you generally take a blueprint shot of everything, and then erase the unneeded bits that came along with it, one-by-one. That's no big deal for small blueprints, but with larger ones (such as the steam engine assembly example I gave), trying to pick out all the little things you don't want can be a pain. Much simpler if we could just right-click once on the icon at the bottom, and have all the instances in the blueprint disappear. Considering those bottom icons are already active for things like mouse-over descriptions, it feels like a pretty feasible addition that doesn't necessarily require a UI overhaul.

"Replace-All" stands as is, I think. It would let you make a single blueprint (say, a belt balancer), and quickly swap between yellow, red, and blue versions, depending on the application. And it could be done by a single click on the icon at the bottom of the blueprint, rather then trying to pick out everything in the blueprint. I believe there are auto-upgrade mods out there, and I think there is/was a replacer mod, but they require the original to have already been placed down, and don't necessarily allow for up OR down-grades. This would do it quickly and virtually (in the blueprint), before a single physical item needed to be laid.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”