Sound & Sounds

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FiveNightsAtFatty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Sound & Sounds

Post by FiveNightsAtFatty »

Hello,

I was playing factorio and was running through a large batch of high plantgrass and was feeling there was missing something, I figured out really fast because it was to obvious it had to do with the sound.
After I got that I went exploring a little bit related to sounds, and came with some ideas I think will really boost up the imersion.

Sound ideas:
-Walking trough high grass will enable a sound of someone walking trough high grass
-Walking through forests will enable a sound someone is walking on dead* leafs *(or something in that direction)
-Walking on coal ore deposits will enable a sound someone walking on coal - etc etc
-Walking on desert stone will enable a sound someone is walking on desert stone etc.

Anyway you get the idea lol, I just took my attention because running through high grass without any aditional sounds made it feel really empty, for me atleast.

So overal this idea is to add sound to all different tile kinds and all gaia nature sprites. :mrgreen:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Sound & Sounds

Post by aubergine18 »

Currently different terrain tiles can have their own `walking` sounds (a list of sound files, one is played at random each step). It's just that most terrain tiles don't have custom sounds yet.

But there's no way to apply sounds (that I know of) to decorations such as long grass.

Sounds could potentially be applied to trees as they are entities and as such might have a `working` sound - it might be possible to give them the sound of rustling leaves or something, but not footsteps (as only tiles support the `walking` sound, for obvious reasons).
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

FiveNightsAtFatty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FiveNightsAtFatty »

aubergine18 wrote:Currently different terrain tiles can have their own `walking` sounds (a list of sound files, one is played at random each step). It's just that most terrain tiles don't have custom sounds yet.

But there's no way to apply sounds (that I know of) to decorations such as long grass.

Sounds could potentially be applied to trees as they are entities and as such might have a `working` sound - it might be possible to give them the sound of rustling leaves or something, but not footsteps (as only tiles support the `walking` sound, for obvious reasons).
Not sure if that is how it can work, but instead a sensor to the player than to the sprite, when the sensor inside the player picks up the sprite in a particulair distance it will acitvate it, but also not sure if that if that works if it will be a burden on the performance of the engine or something.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I'm more or less sure this will be fixed before 1.0.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”