Cosmetic suggestion: nightvision

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Cosmetic suggestion: nightvision

Post by Factoruser »

The look of nightvision could be improved by increasing the brightness of artifical light sources; they should be more glaring. Further you may put a slight noise over the landscape. - Of course it's a very high sophisticated nightvision, not like the 20th century's ones... Colours (saturation) should be reduced, but also the green tone (it should be just to recognise the difference between nightvision and normal vision).

When getting "too close" to a lamp, the nightvision might disable automatically (i.e. in your base), or you may have a hotkey for it.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Cosmetic suggestion: nightvision

Post by <NO_NAME> »

I like this.
Nightvision really needs some disadvantages. Now it is ultimate tool to resolve every problem with lighting. It's irritating in multiplayer when you have to navigate through dark factory because most of the players have nightvision and they don't place any lamps.

I would choose the noghtvision color palette in the way that will make harder to build factory. For example transport belts with different speeds would look very similar to each other. On the other hand, this can not hamper the fight.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Night vision isn't meant to have downsides. It's a simple mechanic to allow you to see at night with the "downside' that it takes up space in your modular armor and a small amount of power.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

It's more meant cosmetical. But it might also slightly motivate to illuminate buildings even after having the nightvision module.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Why should I have a nightvision then?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

To fights and expeditions outside the factory. When you are fighting without nightvision and night falls, you are most likely dead. It is a good enough reason to have it.

EDIT:
Moreover, I am not saying that nightvision has to completely prevent building factory. Let it just have some kind of downside like grain or greenish color or something like that.
Right now you research nightvision and there is no more night. It feels lame, like a lost potential to make providing light challenging to diversify the game a little more. And again, I don't suggest it should be too hard, just not effortless like now.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, right points.

What I found more useful is a very (!) simple mechanism to switch player equipment on/off. Think to the personal roboport. Think to exo-skeleton...

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

It won't make sense to disable the exoskeleton except to save power. But this might be wanted in some case, so you might toggle all modules on/off with one hotkey. E.g. the energy shield will slowly decrease then, but batteries will recharge. And it won't hurt if you use it to toggle nightvision, because "in battle" you'll use nightvision anyway, although without it's much more atmospherical... Besides, it may even disable automatically when entering a well-lit area as suggested.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Factoruser wrote:It won't make sense to disable the exoskeleton except to save power.
Of course it does. See reasons in
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=26720 Slow Walking/Running with Powerarmor Exoskeleton

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

If I want to walk slower I just take out 3-5 of my 6 exos.

Nightvision I barely use, except when adding bits to my factory out of the area covered by existing lamps where I haven't placed any yet (they go last after I've got a section finished) or the rare time I kill off alien nests at night. With the More Light mod I added today I will probably not make one in my newest game.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

GlassDeviant wrote:If I want to walk slower I just take out 3-5 of my 6 exos.
Yes, let's automate this. Configurable buttons: If I press button1 slot 6,7,8 is switched on/off, which are 3 of 6 exo-skelletons. Button2 turns nightvision on/off. Button3 turns personal robotport on/off.
Something like so.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”