Player text balloons + taunts

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SockPuppet
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Player text balloons + taunts

Post by SockPuppet »

One of the things I find very difficult in multiplayer is properly communicating with other players. It would be nice to improve this part, other than relying on external application like discord.

I wonder if it is possible to have a console/chat command that will show a small popup on top of the player in multiplayer, that is visible to all other players as well, for say, 5 or 10 seconds. So I can talk to other players based on my location instead of the chat that is always filling up. Ofcourse it could be made optional. It would make it easy to warn players they are doing something wrong, or ask for help.

Also, visual taunts with your player would be cool. Like dance, strike a pose, bow, raise a hand (eg. when you agree to do something). It would require sprites, so probably a dev thing.

No idea if it has been suggested already btw.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Player text balloons + taunts

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4682 Planning (Signs, Cloning, Ghosts, Blueprinting and more...)

Also in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33716 :
Supercheese wrote:I have just made a mod for this: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=34902

I'd love to hear any feedback on it. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Another alternate would be a mod that allows players to change their .tag property - I'm sure I saw a mod for that somewhere, but can't find it currently. I think it was mentioned in modding help, or WIP mods or something. Basically they had a GUI bar across top of screen with loads of common status options like "mining" or "biters" etc. Clicking a button would set players' .tag property, thus showing that text on minimap and in chat etc.

If we could get something like pling commands then it would be even easier - player could type something in to chat, and it would be converted by mod in to a flying-text message above the players' head on the map that other nearby players could see, for example:

!say hello folks

Would create a floating "hello folks" text appear over player head on the map.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Articulating
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Articulating »

aubergine18 wrote:Another alternate would be a mod that allows players to change their .tag property - I'm sure I saw a mod for that somewhere, but can't find it currently. I think it was mentioned in modding help, or WIP mods or something. Basically they had a GUI bar across top of screen with loads of common status options like "mining" or "biters" etc. Clicking a button would set players' .tag property, thus showing that text on minimap and in chat etc.

If we could get something like pling commands then it would be even easier - player could type something in to chat, and it would be converted by mod in to a flying-text message above the players' head on the map that other nearby players could see, for example:

!say hello folks

Would create a floating "hello folks" text appear over player head on the map.
This may be the mod that you are talking about: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/chocolateTthunder/Tags
It's also implemented in our custom scenario which you can find here.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Yup, that's the one I was thinking of!
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”