Train wait times...

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Train wait times...

Post by Factoruser »

should be also 1 and 2 seconds, especially for the "time of inactivity".

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Train wait times...

Post by Rseding91 »

What?...

There's only 2 wait conditions that use time: the time one and the inactivity one. The inactivity one defaults to 5 seconds.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

Factoruser is saying we should be able to set the time lower than 5 seconds. it would be handy when items are trickling in.
oil barrels for example.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

For that I usually have circuit wait conditions so that the train leaves when the buffer chests are empty.

Likewise when my unloading buffer chests are not empty I have my oil train hang at the station, no point in it running around while it's full.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:For that I usually have circuit wait conditions so that the train leaves when the buffer chests are empty.

Likewise when my unloading buffer chests are not empty I have my oil train hang at the station, no point in it running around while it's full.
Seems as if you don't play factorio 0.13 ? O.o

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Yea i find it odd that you can only set min 5 seconds.

But the solution is to put a buffer chest at your train load / unload. And have the condition for the train be an empty buffer, if youre loading that is.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

In my opinion: If a train leaves after 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 seconds doesn't change anything in gameplay. It's just a balancing problem.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

0 seconds don't make sense. The train just stops, but not one item gets loaded or unloaded, and an active inserter situation counts as inactive inserters. Also e.g. 60 seconds of inactivity aren't practical. But you might make a "refueling" station, where you only put 1, 2 solid fuel cubes in the locomotive, and for this would be 1 second wait time enough. Of course it's not likely critical unless you've got monstrous counts of trains.

And imagine 5 seconds of inactivity: the train waits 5 seconds after the last item was loaded. Perhaps items are "dripping" out at some factory, one item all 2-4 seconds... Boring, but dead-locking your train.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

0 is useful for testing purposes.
"Dripping" can be avoided more reliable by circuits.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Stevetrov
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Stevetrov »

I am adding a comment here as this i very close to my suggestion

Sometimes it would be very useful to have a wait condition that says wait until there is any inactivity , so wait until none of the inserters around the train are moving. This may need to be 1 second of inactivity, but 5 is too many and sometime my 5 second inactivity trains wait until they are full bease the itemp are re trickling in.

Thanks

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Stevetrov wrote:I am adding a comment here as this i very close to my suggestion

Sometimes it would be very useful to have a wait condition that says wait until there is any inactivity , so wait until none of the inserters around the train are moving. This may need to be 1 second of inactivity, but 5 is too many and sometime my 5 second inactivity trains wait until they are full bease the itemp are re trickling in.

Thanks
That's not how trains work. The train doesn't have any concept of "inserters". All it knows is the last time something was added or removed from the cargo wagons.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I've been trying to figure out how to use the inactivity wait timer on trains and I can't see simple solution for mining outposts.
You'd need some kind of double-buffer on load to prevent inserters constantly putting new bits of ore into train.

Stevetrov
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Stevetrov »

That's not how trains work. The train doesn't have any concept of "inserters". All it knows is the last time something was added or removed from the cargo wagons.
Well I suspected that might be the case so I suggested inactivity of 1 second could achieve the same result. The point is inactivity of 5 seconds is too long and inactivity of 0 seconds is meaningless.

Nubm2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nubm2 »

I use the inactivity timer for fuel stations, especially on support routes when a second network collects all the spread out small blobs of resources that are not worth to get full stations on their own. It works with 5, but 1 second wait after inactivity would be much better. It just wastes 4 seconds - per train - on nothing.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

orzelek wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to use the inactivity wait timer on trains and I can't see simple solution for mining outposts.
You'd need some kind of double-buffer on load to prevent inserters constantly putting new bits of ore into train.
The idea is the train fills up, then there is no room to insert anything. Usually you would use Inventory Full, but it might be a mixed outpost so you might still have room for like 20 copper but there's none in the chests and the belts are full of iron.

My last run I had trains running around picking up components, I don't know how long it will take to load some things but it would visit several outposts for materials and only the last one would fill it up. The wagons had filtered slots so only the last outpost could fill it up, so inactivity is good here too.

I do agree that 1 second inactivity is more useful than 5, though we should have the option.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”