Disassembly Machine/disposing items/Incinerator/Recyling

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

filippe999
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Disassembly Machine/disposing items/Incinerator/Recyling

Post by filippe999 »

Hello fellow colonizers

So have you ever found yourself in a situation where you've made too much of a certain product and you wish you could undo the process to get the steel back? well just recently i've filled a steel chest with solar panels while i was routing a secondary steel production line to complement the first one, because the steel was not getting into my engine asemblers, when i finished laying down the belts, i saw my small solar panel assembly line taking every steel it could get, of course i facepalmed when i saw it couldn't make more solar panels because it filled a steel chest of then! well, solar panels are cool but i already have enough and no more space to fit then(i an barely walk on my base without stumbling on a pipe or belt or panels or accumulators).

Well, what about implementing a Disassembly machine to the game? it doesn't need to be a 100% return of material from disassembling, just a max of 70% randomized would be good enough, here's a more detailed explanation: the machine will take a product and disassemble it into it's primary resource, but only recover a max of 70% the material used and only after you get recycling(before recycling i would say that 30% return ratio is fine), the materials recovered could be components, like getting some circuits from disassembling solar panels and some steel or iron plates(from the circuit), the random algorithm would decide if you get the direct components or the materials used to make such component but you would never get everything you used to make an item back, just as a balancing issue and to make the game more realistic( in reality our current recycling ratio of recovered materials by product is about 30% max, but in factorio humans are already colonizing so i would guess they created better manufacturing techniques to better recycle more materials out of products and this will also add to the mood of going green the game has).

Thanks, filippe999

tralala
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Disassembly Machine

Post by tralala »

Yeah I had the same idea a while ago. I think it would add to the flavor of the game significantly.
I'm not sure of how much use such a machine would be except for rare circumstances like you described but it just feels in the spirit of the game to be able to disassemble stuff.
I would not randomize the disassembling and think it should be the exact components you put into minus some disassembling penalty.

Elfface
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Elfface »

I'd be more willing to use burner-inserters in the early game if I could turn them into something useful once I had access to electric. It would make new early-tech components a little more promising if they could be recycled or even upgraded.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoeSchmoe »

Maybe the recipes could be changed slightly so that all advanced items require the basic item.

For example

Current
The burner inserter needs 1 Iron plate, 1 Iron Gear Wheel, 1 Time
The basic inserter needs 1 iron plate, 1 iron gear wheel, 1 electronic circuit, 1 time
Proposed
The basic inserter needs 1 burner inserter, 1 electronic circuit, 1 time

Could be used for boxes (although more wood would be need), Furnaces, etc

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Can a recipe produce more than one type of item? If not, you could still add a recipe for each item that converts it to the major ingredient, e.g. a basic inserter just gives you 4 iron back. Assign these recipes to a "recycling" category and only enable that category for your recycling station. You'd have the problem of all these extra recipes filling up your crafting menu, though. You'd also need to change the recycler's recipe setting each time you wanted to recycle a different item type, too.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

I am just curious: where do you get so much waste needed to be disassembled?

After 180+hrs in my current world I have this much
waste

JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoeSchmoe »

No Burner Inserters?
No Stone Furnaces?
No Wooden Chests?
No Iron Chests?
No Small Electrical Poles?

Either have a really slow start waiting for technology to skip over the lower levels of stuff,
or you don't upgrade anything that is already placed.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

No Burner Inserters? No i start by placing wooden chests at miners and running a little bit until i can afford a boiler (5 min)

No Stone Furnaces? Used up later for boilers

No Wooden Chests? Still in use (i had like 5 - now they are storing junk and wood

No Iron Chests? Never used them - by the time i need bigger storage I can afford steel ones

No Small Electrical Poles? Still use them in hundreds - specifically for turret power supply

Either have a really slow start waiting for technology to skip over the lower levels of stuff,
or you don't upgrade anything that is already placed. Rather fast start - I use mostly belts, so i research belts, then factories, then laser turrets, then modules. Until I research roboports most of my factory is 100% belts with few chests at critical areas.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

JoeSchmoe wrote:No Wooden Chests?
You can feed them to boilers, wood burns, even in form of chests :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

:) Nice explanations...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedado77 »

Garm wrote:No Burner Inserters? No i start by placing wooden chests at miners and running a little bit until i can afford a boiler (5 min)

No Stone Furnaces? Used up later for boilers
No Wooden Chests? Still in use (i had like 5 - now they are storing junk and wood
No Iron Chests? Never used them - by the time i need bigger storage I can afford steel ones
No Small Electrical Poles? Still use them in hundreds - specifically for turret power supply

or you don't upgrade anything that is already placed. Rather fast start - I use mostly belts, so i research belts, then factories, then laser turrets, then modules. Until I research roboports most of my factory is 100% belts with few chests at critical areas.
EXACTLY!!!!
The only "Trash" I end up having is the pistol, basic shotgun, some shells and ammo, armor, some basic turrets (not lasser when I play in higher difficulty), maybe some wooden chests, but not ussualy (I use them in places where i need 1 or 2 stacks of things only instead of making a smart ins and a smart chest, or as buffers), and MAYBE some poles when/if i take the time to replace them, but i ussualy don't...
AND I can tell you a little trick: Place everything you don't need in a wooden chest, use the shotgun to fire at the chest. NO MORE TRASH!!!

AndaleTheGreat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AndaleTheGreat »

So back on the topic:
I agree with this idea.
A hefty fee to get back mats.
I agree it is not necessary since (at least for me) you end up with WAY more resources than you could ever need. I just like to get of extra bits.

dann999
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Disassembling machine

Post by dann999 »

Moved from own thread to here. -- ssilk

----------------------------
I think, that it will be a good idea to make some sort of disassembling machine, that could recycle our unnecessary items ,from the beginning of the game, into basic materials :)

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Disassembling machine

Post by Garm »

Please use search

Example

This has been suggested many times already.

tralala
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tralala »

But there is still no reaction from the devs. Although the use will be very limited I find the idea very fitting for factorio.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

tralala wrote:But there is still no reaction from the devs. Although the use will be very limited I find the idea very fitting for factorio.
Yeah, but like you said, there's not that much use. I guess we'll see some kind of disassembly in the future, but I think there are more important things right now, like working multiplayer :P

Do you know you can use that red cross in chests to confine your factories so they won't produce way too much? Later on you can even set up a circuit network to produce exact numbers, but that's a bit more advanced. I didn't use that in the beginning, too, and I got way too much of some stuff. I think that in Factorio, abundance is a bit part of the game, so i don't think i would use such a disassembler at all (need more stuff? get more ore).
I understand why that could be useful from time to time though. But if you learn to set up your factories the right way, you won't have way too much of some, and sooner or later, you find a use for almost anything.

Bottom line: I think a disassembly would fit nice generally, but i also don't see much use, and i guess it's something that shouldn't have priority right now.

Virtlink
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Disposing items

Post by Virtlink »

Joined due to obvious reasons. -- ssilk
Sorry, I did do a search but didn't find this topic. -Virtlink
---

It should be possible to dispose items. An incinerator for example could be used to dispose of unwanted items, excess production, etc. These incinerators could then be used, for example, as a safety mechanism for when the production exceeds the consumption. However, they have a smog penalty when used.

It should also be possible to dispose of unwanted fluids. Currently the only way to dispose of a fluid is by pumping it into a storage tank and removing the tank, which is not very realistic.

Additionally, the player should be able to put Items on the ground. Items put on the ground should despawn after a while.

Kreq
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

The Incinerator - solution to inventory management

Post by Kreq »

Hi everyone.

First of all: great game.

After 20hrs of gameplay, i often find too many items in my inventory. Maybe it's just some yellow inserters that i crafted. Maybe it's just some wood that i had to cut down to place those power lines in a straight line. Maybe it's just some red and green wires that i don't have to use.

Of course, the best management would be to run around my factory and place every item in the correct assembly machine or furnace. But this takes time, and i am lazy. Plus, the time i would spend running around is much greater than the value of the resources i'd be managing.

For this reason, i'd like to see something like an incinerator added to the game.
A big building, that needs coal or fuel to run. It has a chest inventory, and when you drop items in it, it burns them giving out pollution and electric energy.

P.S: Maybe there's already a way to just "delete" items from your inventory, but i haven't found it yet.

What do you think about it?

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: The Incinerator - solution to inventory management

Post by Sander Buruma »

This is a joined thread. --ssilk
---
you can delete items by putting them in a chest and shooting the chest.
btw. I would also like a trashing machine of some sort.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”